applestar
Mod

Re: Applestar's 2014 Tomato Gardens

Blush is starting to blush. It has russet mites as you can tell by the stem color. I hope it out paces the russet mites! :bouncey:
image.jpg
image.jpg (27.73 KiB) Viewed 875 times
Last night a gusty storm blew through and knocked over some of the container tomatoes including San Marzano Nano. It knocked into Maglia Rosa. I found a green elongated fruit on the patio bricks and *think* it's a MR, but it could be a SMN. Blush was knocked over, too, where it was isolated among the citruses which were all lying down as well. I straightened them out last night after the storm had passed (around 1:30AM) but it was dark there and I forgot to check with the flashlight whether the fruits are still on.... I guess I'll find out.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Thats to bad.

Citruses? Do you shuffle them inside and out every year?

applestar
Mod

Yep, citruses, avocados, mangos, bananas, pineapples, tender figs... All part of my "tropicals" that vacation out for the summer and come inside before frost in fall. :D

Here's a new collage of the Sunflower House Tomato Garden:
...not sure if that is REALLY Brazilian Beauty...
...not sure if that is REALLY Brazilian Beauty...
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I knew you had other tropicals that you had in the house in the winter but I did not know about the citrus.

Those look phenomenal!

applestar
Mod

Ha. I t looks as though I just recently posted the SFH tomato photos... Well, I took more pictures today.... :P
(Captions are clockwise from top right frame)

SUNFLOWER HOUSE TOMATO GARDEN
Amethyst Cream, Amethyst Cream, Dancing <br />with Smurfs, Scarlet Knight, Royal Hillbilly
Amethyst Cream, Amethyst Cream, Dancing
with Smurfs, Scarlet Knight, Royal Hillbilly
Variegated PL x Big Cheef Stripes, Faelan's First Snow, <br />(may/may not be) Brazilian Beauty, Dixiewine (foliage),<br />Ananas Noire
Variegated PL x Big Cheef Stripes, Faelan's First Snow,
(may/may not be) Brazilian Beauty, Dixiewine (foliage),
Ananas Noire
Not Purple Strawberry, Grandma Oliver's Chocolate, <br />Grandma Oliver's Chocolate, Captain Lucky, Indian <br />Zebra/Stripes
Not Purple Strawberry, Grandma Oliver's Chocolate,
Grandma Oliver's Chocolate, Captain Lucky, Indian
Zebra/Stripes
Primrose Gage, Malakhitovaya Shkatulka, <br />Liz Birt (Purple), Wes, Wes, Terhune,
Primrose Gage, Malakhitovaya Shkatulka,
Liz Birt (Purple), Wes, Wes, Terhune,
VGC/VGD TOMATO GARDEN
Tidwell German, Grandma Oliver's Chocolate,<br />Terhune, Neves Azorian Red, Flathead Orange
Tidwell German, Grandma Oliver's Chocolate,
Terhune, Neves Azorian Red, Flathead Orange

applestar
Mod

Sunflower House Tomato Garden
image.jpg
Clockwise from top left: <br />(Maybe not) Brazillian Beauty<br />Scarlet Knight<br />Scarlet Knight harvested with some Coyote<br />and a Chibikko... Plus a couple of blackberries,<br />a Japanese cucumber and a smallish Lemon <br />cucumber.
Clockwise from top left:
(Maybe not) Brazillian Beauty
Scarlet Knight
Scarlet Knight harvested with some Coyote
and a Chibikko... Plus a couple of blackberries,
a Japanese cucumber and a smallish Lemon
cucumber.
Raised Bed Vegetable Garden
image.jpg
image.jpg (78.82 KiB) Viewed 772 times
The broken pre-germinated seedling grew what looks like a Kakai squash. Keeping an eye on it but it seems OK so far.

The other squash seedling under the cloche was an Uncle David's Dakota Dessert and became infested with SVB's. Harvested a tiny racket ball sized immature fruit which baked up into summer squash like but firm, -- sweet and nutty and delicious.
Baked, sliced racket ball sized immature Uncle David's squash
Baked, sliced racket ball sized immature Uncle David's squash
Another unknown volunteer was also SVB ridden and disposed.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Looking good, I wonder what you will get with your Grandma Oliver Chocolate, I have a red from one of my plants.

applestar
Mod

GOC fruits are getting huge on multiple vines.

(I forgot to take pictures -- these caught my attention today)
Mystery almost black with antho fruited variety<br />and Amethyst Cream
Mystery almost black with antho fruited variety
and Amethyst Cream
Indian Zebra/Stripe, Ananas. Noire, <br />Malachite Box/Liz Birt (Purple), Captain Lucky
Indian Zebra/Stripe, Ananas. Noire,
Malachite Box/Liz Birt (Purple), Captain Lucky
My one successful cross Coyote x Terhune<br />(Developing tiny green fruit at upper right <br />with no sepals)
My one successful cross Coyote x Terhune
(Developing tiny green fruit at upper right
with no sepals)

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Beautiful. I love your arrangement of colors.
Nutin as good as a kitchen sink mater sammich

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Amazing stuff Apple!....I couldn't keep up with all those varieties....everything looks great. I saw your reference to russet mites...gonna have to look that up...

applestar
Mod

:-() EXCITEMENT :-()

First of the big'uns were harvested yesterday -- a couple days to full ripe.

I kept looking at that big Indian Zebra/Stripe in the truss and there was a smaller one quietly ripening behind it! :o

And I almost didn't realize this Ananas Noire was ready. I held it in my hand it to see how it was doing and felt the faint softness (not quite give). I had to touch others to make sure I wasn't imagining it. But when I turned it over, it looked like this, This one should look REALLY interesting when cut open.

Also, first two of the Amethyst Cream cherry -- this was another one I had to feel around. :) I was really pleased to see the color and put some Coyote next to them for comparison -- almost a perfect match. :D
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

I was feeling sluggish today, so I was just "going out to take a look." I didn't even take a harvesting bucket/basket.... Then I found... all this :shock:
Today's harvest. Close ups of harvested fruits before<br />picking including Maglia Rosa as well as Liz Birt and <br />Neves Azorian Red that look like they will be next.
Today's harvest. Close ups of harvested fruits before
picking including Maglia Rosa as well as Liz Birt and
Neves Azorian Red that look like they will be next.
Malkhitvaya Shkatulka (Malachite Box) is a GWR (Green When Ripe) variety and I couldn't tell by looking if any of ALL these fruits in the clusters was ripe -- the bottom-most one was :D
Malkhitvaya Shkatulka (Malachite Box) is super productive.
Malkhitvaya Shkatulka (Malachite Box) is super productive.
Captain Lucky was looking a little constrained, so I felt it to see how it was doing -- I thought it would be impossible to remove from it's cradle once soft. Well, it turned out that the pressure from the three stalks had cause it to burst and crack, plus it was JUST slightly soft to the touch. It's so hard to tell with these unusually colored fruits! Captain Lucky, like Ananas Noire, is supposed to be a tricolor.
Captain Lucky
Captain Lucky
Mini crate of the Big 'uns. Hopefully the green NPS will ripen.<br />Also harvested today were San Marzano Nano, Not Purple Strawberry.
Mini crate of the Big 'uns. Hopefully the green NPS will ripen.
Also harvested today were San Marzano Nano, Not Purple Strawberry.
I was appalled to find two of the Not Purple Strawberry fruits just lying on the ground. But closer inspection showed that they tore themselves off the vine because I'd failed to tie these two up for support. One had started to blush, but the other one looks a bit green. Luckily, the other part of the same cluster with three green fruits were still tied up with a strip of an old T-shirt.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I wish I had so many tomatoes as you do! I get at most 2 a day and that is not even everyday. Next year I am probably going too rip out a border and make it a tomato bed. My container garden just does not get enough sun for tomatoes to do well. Everything else does great but tomatoes do not like it.

applestar
Mod

:lol: that's how it starts :lol:
...but really, why NOT grow something you can eat? If they are going to take up valuable, premium sunny real estate, they should give back something in return, *I say*. :wink:

You can see how much fun it is to grow different varieties, and tomatoes are so versatile in the kitchen. :D

applestar
Mod

Today's exciting finds :()
Attachments
Liz Birt (purple), Mitkhivaya Shkatulka, Dancing with Smurfs, Shadowboxing. Brian Boru and Zluta Kytice cherries, Scarlet Knight, 42 Days, Amethyst Cream cherry
Liz Birt (purple), Mitkhivaya Shkatulka, Dancing with Smurfs, Shadowboxing. Brian Boru and Zluta Kytice cherries, Scarlet Knight, 42 Days, Amethyst Cream cherry

applestar
Mod

The beans are growing wild in the Raised Bed
Vegetable Garden. :shock:
Granny's Heart are starting to produce kind of <br />high up on the vine.
Granny's Heart are starting to produce kind of
high up on the vine.
I picked the Neves Azorian Red tomato in the photo --a few more shades darker than the pictured-- yesterday evening because there were heavy rains predicted last night and I didn't want it to split. (We actually had nearly 1 inch of rain) I think I'll take a picture of it tomorrow.

Here are the beans I harvested today :D
4 kinds of Beans Purple Podded Pole,<br />Scarlet Runner, Sunset Runner, <br />Kentucky Wonder, plus Roma II from <br />the a Spiral Garden.
4 kinds of Beans Purple Podded Pole,
Scarlet Runner, Sunset Runner,
Kentucky Wonder, plus Roma II from
the a Spiral Garden.
That mystery variety (that does not appear to be Brazilian Beauty) is starting to blush :-()
image.jpg

DDMcKenna

I am constantly amazed at the volume of product your gardening supplies.

applestar
Mod

Yeah, as I've mentioned before, this not a big property and I have several small to medium garden beds that are divided and built in different areas surrounding the house, but if you plant even just one of them and make plans to keep the beds productive through different times of the growing season with appropriate crops, you can harvest something practically every day.

Growing same crops in different microclimates of your garden can also extend the crops' productive period.

I didn't always have extras, but once you get the hang of it, expanding your garden -either bigger bed or multiple beds- can help to grow more than you and your family can eat fresh. The you can store for future in the freezer, or make extra cooked food, or make preserved food -- It's a lot of fun. :D

applestar
Mod

I had the feeling all these were going to be ready to harvest around the same time.
Expecting some rain tonight and over the weekend so nearly all fully blushed tomatoes were picked today :o
image.jpg
...including the tomatoes, the rest of harvest today looked like this :()
(...yeah, I forgot to check the Coyote and had to take <br />a separate picture later)
(...yeah, I forgot to check the Coyote and had to take
a separate picture later)

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Beautiful produce you have there. Good job
Nutin as good as a kitchen sink mater sammich

applestar
Mod

Thank you! :D

applestar
Mod

Yesterday, I meant to harvest ALL fully blushed fruits. I saw that Faelan's First Snow (grown from seeds from variegated plant found in a flat of Cherokee Purple and generously shared) had a fruit that was ready to be harvested... I was at a location that required that I go all the way around to reach it, and I got distracted. :roll:

So here it is! This one was from last year's best variegated out of four plants and largest fruit though they were only saladette to salad size but only growing in a 3.5 gal container. It had a haphazard start this spring, but it has grown well. This time around, the fruit is continuing to retain the Cherokee Purple characteristics and attained a respectable size. As you can see, its variegtion is excellent though not as strong as the Variegated PL x Striped Big Cheef.
image.jpg
This is thought to be an accidental cross of Cherokee Purple because Gixxerific is getting some fruits that are completely different on a non-variegated plant.

applestar
Mod

Apparently, Faelan's First Snow wasn't the only fruit I missed. :roll:
I didn't get out in the garden yesterday, and today, I found an Ananas Noire, dated and labeled 8/1 with a nasty water rot on it. Luckily, it was salvageable.
Today's harvest. Beans are in an 11 inch colander.
Today's harvest. Beans are in an 11 inch colander.
(In rows from L to R)

BACK ROW
Ananas Noire - Neves Azorian Red (2) - Captain Lucky
Liz Birt Purple - Green Gail (2) - hose end size ref
Royal Hillbillie - Grandma Oliver's Chocolate - Royal Hillbillie (2)
Primrose Gage - Not Purple Strawberry - Scarlet Knight (2)
FRONT ROW

I've been commenting about my cukes in the Spiral Garden thread and the beans in the... Oh! In the Tomato Garden thread -- that's HERE :oops:

So.... I can't believe those giant beans I found. WHERE HAD THEY BEEN HIDING?
...and I harvested this large colander full even AFTER giving my neighbor enough to serve four adults for dinner (a big double handful).

The cucumbers -- I found an overgrown Japanese Shintokiwa variety that is longer than my forearm. :roll:

Those eggplants were pitiful BUT I had to harvest them since the calyces were drying and the blossom end were starting to show corky marks indicating fruits that were entering the mature phase (eggplants are harvested immature) -- they ARE Japanese variety which tends to be narrow and small, but not this small. They are NOT liking the cool nights we've been having, though WE have been enjoying them.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

AppleStar,

You have reached my favorite time for the gardening year. Literally, everything is becoming available!

I'm not quite there yet. The cucumbers and beans coming in a rush. The tomatoes are still at the onesies and twosies but the earliest varieties are just now coming in for the final day or two of ripening in a basket. Sweet peppers are coming off the plants, hots are ripening. The silk is drying on the earliest sowing of sweet corn ... And yet again, I have fresh leaf lettuce! The Asian greens that I had so much of a month ago, well there were a half-dozen plants in the shade and tiny seedlings are growing fast! I'm right in the middle of potato harvest. It's all good!

Steve :)
Make everything as simple as possible but not simpler. ~ Albert Einstein

applestar
Mod

Enjoy your harvest, Steve!
You are right. It's really fun to find the new ready to harvest treasures in the garden. :D

Yesterday and Today, there were more big tomatoes that I hadn't expected would be ready:
image.jpg
UPPER PHOTO
(Left side of cukes in a U)

Not Purple Strawberry (2)
Wes
Cherokee Tiger Large Red in 3 gal (2)
Mystery antho variety (was not Brazillian Beauty)
Amethyst Cream
Scarlet Knight or 42 Days
Terhune (2)

LOWER PHOTO
(Counter clockwise from top)

Ananas Noire
Faelan's First Snow
Tidwell German
Scarlet Knight
42 Days (2)
Runty Malakhitovaya Shkatulka
PL Variegated x Big Cheef Stripes
Flathead Monster Orange
Mystery antho variety (was not Brazillian Beauty)
Cherokee Tiger Large Red in 3 gal

applestar
Mod

Took this picture at the last minute so please excuse the sloppy presentation.
We ate the First Faelan's First Snow
About 3-1/2&quot; diameter Sweet and rich lingering flavor without being overly acid.
About 3-1/2" diameter Sweet and rich lingering flavor without being overly acid.

applestar
Mod

FINALLY! I was starting to think I wasn't going to see any at all this year. But here is my first sighting of a Garden Patrol incubator :twisted:
image.jpg
image.jpg (50.69 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
Ha! This creature has no chance at all -- when I posted the photo, I noticed it has EGGS on its head IN ADDITION to the Braconid wasp pupae already on it's back. I think those are Tachinid fly eggs.
Here -- I zoomed in:
image.jpg
(Oh... actually I did find one other hornworm. That one appeared not to have been parasitized... But I guess they are working double-shifts now :hehe: )

applestar
Mod

I took some pictures of the VGA bed:
Gixx's Missouri Rose
Gixx's Missouri Rose
Granny's Heart from Materman
Granny's Heart from Materman
Finally getting to try the Jersey Devil to<br />add to my NJ Heirloom Collection
Finally getting to try the Jersey Devil to
add to my NJ Heirloom Collection
(You can see the russet mites at work here :evil: )

...the jungle... :roll:
image.jpg

Lindsaylew82
Mod

MWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Death to the hornworm!

.....it's personal this year. Pardon my enthusiasm! :twisted:
Lindsay
Upstate, SC
USDA Zone 7b/ Sunset Zone 31

applestar
Mod

Yeah, I think you are hogging them all.... :>

Lindsaylew82
Mod

WAS hogging them all, they've moved on for the most part.
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

applestar
Mod

Sunflower fence row -- I can't take a comparison picture from the same point of view as the earlier photos -- all you'll see would be sunflower stems :lol:
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

I thought I posted about this before, but maybe I didn't.

I had a bunch of short dwarf and micro varieties in 3 gallon square containers and a few others in smaller containers that had been waiting to be planted in 5 gallon buckets. But they started getting overwhelmed by russet mites and I was desperately putting them in wildflower beds, clover lawn, and under 2nd year flowering parsley, trying find the Garden Patrol members that could take care of them. But all of them got russeted all the way to the growing tip and it looked like they were goners. In fact some of them died.

...then I started to see fresh new side shoots and amazingly these were free of any sign of russet mite infestation and damage. No russetting, no slowly dying leaflets. :-()
image.jpg
late July showing signs of recovery
late July showing signs of recovery
I took some update photos today, and you you can see, although they are late to the party, they are starting to flower and set fruits. :()
image.jpg
Latest progress
Latest progress

applestar
Mod

I posted this collage of the Sunflower House Tomato Garden on July 10 a few pages ago:

Here is more-or-less same view collage as of yesterday:
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

I forgot to add to the above post about the amazing recovery of the russet mite infested plants, though these plants deserve their own story.

I grew a cross in F4 generation called Pit Viper last winter. I really wanted to try them so I started the seeds on October 7, 2013. But the seedlings stalled out in their growth and in January when
I uppotted them because they were showing signs of nutrient deficiency and compacted soil, they still only looked this big:

In fact I didn't start any new seeds because these looked like they were just starting out. :lol:
They were growing well until February and were uppotted again, but they got caught up in the aphid and russet mite infestation, and weird thing was the ladybugs I released in the plants refused to stay and tend to the Pit Vipers (they did a wonderful job clearing up the hot peppers). I could deal with the spuds myself but the russet mites were another story. I started taking them outside when warm, and as do on as I possibly could, I put them out among the blooming wildflowers and herbs in hopes that the Garden Patrol would pay attention. But they slowly russeted all the way to the top and
I really thought they died, so I never uppotted them or planted them in the ground. Just left the pots there and forgot about them.

Then the one in the Kitchen Garden grew a new fresh side shoot and started to grow.
image.jpg
...and I recently noticed the one in the wildflower bed had also somehow recovered 8)
Notice this one's fruit shape is different from the other <br />one -- a fun aspect of growing still unstable segregates.
Notice this one's fruit shape is different from the other
one -- a fun aspect of growing still unstable segregates.
We ate one of the fruits from the Kitchen Garden plant:
It had all the requisite flavors, sweet, tangy, tomato-y, and <br />lingering acid. A very good, full flavored fruit.
It had all the requisite flavors, sweet, tangy, tomato-y, and
lingering acid. A very good, full flavored fruit.
:D

applestar
Mod

Some of the other varieties, planted in the ground, that looked like they had gone down due to russet mites are making a come-back, too. One of them that I'm particularly happy about is Cherokee Lime Stripes. It's blooming and setting fruits.
:clap:

applestar
Mod

Here are a couple of varieties I'm growing this year.

One is a cross from an F3 seed Variegated PL x Striped Big Cheef F3#3
I posted some photos of the fabulous variegated foliage earlier.
I asked to try this one because the fruits were larger than it's siblings.

As you can see, the first fruit was smallish, but subsequent fruits have been getting bigger. There are at least three more that are close to harvest in the SFH Tomato. Garden
Variegated PL x Striped Big Cheef F3#3
Variegated PL x Striped Big Cheef F3#3
This first fruit had a sweetness followed by tangy acid bite that lingered. It had rather thick skin which is not my favorite but the skin did peel off in single pull, which compensates. I'll have to see if the breeder wants the saved seeds back.

Another one that I harvested today is Missouri Rose (WMD Pink PL). The fruits all have some nice size to them. I can't wait to try tasting the first one in a couple of days :D
Missouri Rose
Missouri Rose

applestar
Mod

Another sunflower opened :flower:
...but the first one is already bowing down so we can't see it now. :?
image.jpg
...also... I think I have to do something about the beans. They are swallowing the tomato garden whole. :eek: they also brought down 3 of the popcorn, though the husks are starting to dry and I have been harvesting them one by one.
Look at this pile of beans! I'm running out of room in the freezer....
Look at this pile of beans! I'm running out of room in the freezer....
...maybe I'll stop harvesting and let the rest of them mature for shelled fresh beans. I'm growing other beans specifically for dry beans so I really don't need to dry and save any more than for next year's crop.

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Do all your beans have strings? I need to go back and see your varieties.

I definitely see purple pod pole. Are any of these runner beans, Kentuckys?
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

applestar
Mod

All of the above :()

They are mostly Purple Podded Pole, Sunset and. Scarlet Runner, and Kentucky Wonder Pole beans. I also have Mounteneer White Half Runners and a few Roma II.

PPP won't get strings until they are HUGE and even then maybe only on the ends. I think the runners and Kentucky Wonder develop full length strings when they get too big, and MWHR seems to always have strings.

I planted Roma II I along the base of the corn in the Spiral Garden and I keep forgetting to look, so I'm constantly coming up with overgrown beans. :| in fact, I forgot to look yesterday! :roll:

... I really prefer pole beans for picking ...
image.jpg

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”