JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Jimony-whiz...if it ain't one thing, it's another...

So, I carefully studied the weather reports to make sure the TEMPERATURES would be fine to plant my maters. It looked like they would be, so I planted them.

I suppose I should have also looked at the PRECIPITATION forecasts. We're expected to get 3 to 4 inches, maybe more, of rain between yesterday afternoon and tomorrow evening :eek: . Also the chance for some of the storms to be severe, with high winds, hail, etc. Lol. Its always something. It could be worse, as I know there has been a terrible loss of life and property from this set of storms elsewhere.

On the other hand, if the weather was perfect I'd probably be worrying about bugs right now...sigh...

McKinney88

I'm in west TN and got soaked by this storm for 2 days straight. Delayed some of my planting at least a week till it dries up. However I did put some 13-13-13 down on my tomatoes before the rain and they are nice and green now :() .

What kind of "mators" you growing? My dad uses the same word and he was born in the smokey mountains. Must be a mountain person thing lol.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yup, I just brought my squash and all the last seedlings out yesterday to start hardening off and they promptly got poured on all day. Looking a bit battered now.

Between too cold, too hot, too wet, too dry, too windy, early blight, late blight, septoria, squash vine borers, cabbage worms, tomato hornworms ... it is amazing that we ever manage to grow anything. It is in the nature of plants to grow and they will do their best, no matter what is thrown at them.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Water rolls off my little hill pretty well, so I'm not too awful worried about the amount of rain in the soil, but I am a little freaked out about the foliage being constantly wet for 72 plus hours. Fungus is the devil I know all too well, and I'd rather not have that get started up so soon...

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Lol...my situation just took another potentially bad turn. Just before dark, I hear the dog growling at the back door. We go look and there a two rather large deer just on the other side of our fence (a typical 3 wire cow fence). While we watched, one scurried under into our yard. I don't think they would come down to the lowest level where the maters are, but my lettuces up above could get wiped out. I let the dog out, and he ran them off admirably, but we have some really bold deer here. They may be back. Just ANOTHER thing to worry about. :roll:

feldon30

JayPoc wrote:Lol...my situation just took another potentially bad turn. Just before dark, I hear the dog growling at the back door. We go look and there a two rather large deer just on the other side of our fence (a typical 3 wire cow fence). While we watched, one scurried under into our yard. I don't think they would come down to the lowest level where the maters are, but my lettuces up above could get wiped out. I let the dog out, and he ran them off admirably, but we have some really bold deer here. They may be back. Just ANOTHER thing to worry about. :roll:
So what are you going to do about it? Are you going to buy Liquid Fence? Put up a metal fence?

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

feldon30 wrote:
JayPoc wrote:Lol...my situation just took another potentially bad turn. Just before dark, I hear the dog growling at the back door. We go look and there a two rather large deer just on the other side of our fence (a typical 3 wire cow fence). While we watched, one scurried under into our yard. I don't think they would come down to the lowest level where the maters are, but my lettuces up above could get wiped out. I let the dog out, and he ran them off admirably, but we have some really bold deer here. They may be back. Just ANOTHER thing to worry about. :roll:
So what are you going to do about it? Are you going to buy Liquid Fence? Put up a metal fence?
Right now, nothing. This is actually the first time in several years I've seen them in the spring. and they've only been a real problem once or twice before in the fall. So far (knocking on every wooden item I can find) they haven't gotten into the garden this spring. I have some beautiful lettuce coming along and would hate to lose it. Anyway, as the surrounding forests come back to life I suspect they'll disappear until fall...at least I hope so...

It's funny, they were back the next day in the morning, the following evening, and again the next morning. The dog would run them off, and they'd be back in 10 minutes. One morning, I actually was able to walk within about 20 feet of one and actually tossed a fist sized rock and hit him in the chest. Only then did he crawl back under (yes under, not over...lol...a new one on me) to the other side. I had to throw a few more things to get him to move off entirely. I think I need to mow. I have some tall luscious grass back there that hasn't been mowed yet this year. Of course, if all they're eating is the grass, maybe I should leave it?

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”