Franenuss

My cherry tomato sprouts (and a cat sleeping)

Hi!

I'm a tiny bit super excited about starting my plants, so after I restrained myself for a few hours I said what the hell and here I am posting super early into my gardening.

I live in Santiago of Chile, in South America. We have a mediterranean climate here and are starting autumn (not sure that's how it's spelled :? ), I planted the seeds for cherry tomatoes about a week ago, on friday and during the week the seeds started germinating (as a newbie in this, I was almost singing to my little newborn babies).

So here it is a picture of the package with the seeds: it has cherry tomatoes, radish -wich I'm thinking in planting in a container-, chilli and basil. It's in spanish, but the important thing is that the mix is for tiny spaces like mine (I have so little space in my yard to a "huerta" that I plan on making all I can in containers).

Also, a photo of my tiny sprouts (I know, I know it may be too little to even post it but I'm in love with them <3).

Aaand, a photo of my cat (Sam) sleeping by the sprouts. Yes, the container is in my bed ... because we had an awful day here (it was really strange, we don't have that kind of cold and rain until mid july around here), so like an aprehensive mother I put the container inside the room and thought that a little warm light could do them good. Tell me if I should not do that! (remember, I'm a newbie!).

Greetings to you all! :()
Attachments
My beloved cat Sam sleeping by the  warm light
My beloved cat Sam sleeping by the warm light
Newborn cherry tomato sprouts
Newborn cherry tomato sprouts
The package with cherry tomato seeds, radish seeds, chilli (aji) seeds and basil seeds. For tiny spaces.
The package with cherry tomato seeds, radish seeds, chilli (aji) seeds and basil seeds. For tiny spaces.

McKinney88

Good job on starting your own plants. Hope it goes well. I have one cherry tomato plant (I cheated and bought it) and has a group of blossoms on it right now so I'm pretty excited. Keep us posted.

Franenuss

Thank you! I saw your tomato plant and it looks great, I hope mine gets right on its way!

I'm uploading a new picture of the seedlings, and I have to say ... the REAL seedlings, because the first ones were just .... grass? or something that grew on from the soil I bought for the seed to germinate in hahaha

I'm such a newbie I confused tomato seedlings with ... grass seedlings hahaha :oops:

So, here are the true tomatoes :)
Attachments
seedlings.jpg

applestar
Mod

WOW you really sowed those seeds close! :shock: I usually try to leave 1/2" to 1" between seeds in a community container. You will need to thin them right away so the roots don't get entangled.

Right now, they only have the straight radicle root, so you could be brutal and (gently) pinch a bunch with your fingers and pull every inch or so (you may even be able to save them by plunging the bunch into soft potting mix THEN letting go) Then out of the remaining clumps standing every inch, watch how they grow, choose the strongest looking, and clip the rest with embroidery or nail scissors (something sharp with narrow tips).

You will need to raise the container or lower the light so the CFL light bulb is only about 3-4 inches above the top of the seedlings. If you only have the one light, especially with the small reflector diameter, it will not be enough to shine on the entire length of the container -- I would estimate you would need three of those.

How big is this windowbox? If you can, get a hold of a 2nd hand aquarium light that takes 15", 18", or 24" fluorescent light tube. Or get an under-cabinet light. Or get a utility light fixture with 8-10" diameter reflector for the CFL bulb -- sold in hardware store, auto section, or as chicken brooder light at farm supply. It looks like you would need two. Of course you can also buy a new 24" horticultural grow light. If you have the room, consider just getting a 4 ft shop light (ultimately, they are the least expensive per foot of space).

Alternatively, you could put the box outside in a relatively sunny area every day if the temperature is above 50°F.

But this is ONLY THE BEGINNING! You will see them grow every day -- I love seeing the first loops of sprouting seedlings. :D

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Some excellent information in the above post. I just want to add that I know how exciting it is, growing from seeds. Welcome to our joint obsession. :D soon you too will realize it is a hopeless addiction, and that we are all enablers here. :lol:

Franenuss

Thank you so much for the advises, applestar!

I thought that only about 1/4 of the seeds would sprout, that's why I sowed them so close (and in line).. now I know the succes rate is much higher (and therefore, I won't plant all of the seeds at once haha) :lol:

We are starting autumn here in Chile, so I've put them in the sun during the day and I enter the plants at night (because our temperatures right now are 7/21°C (45/70°F), so during the day it never goes lover than 59°F. I'm considering buying a special light for the colder days that we'll encounter during July.

New questions have surfaced in me:

How many tomato plants would I want in a house with small yard and only 4 members? (maybe I should leave one or two plants for me and give away the rest, I'm thinking).

And, if I try to transplant to individual cups the seedlings so they are not so crowded, will it work? (I transplanted one seedling, for experimenting with raising it since little in a cup).

Thank you again for your answers and JuliusKitty, yes! I'm beggining but I can already feel I really like learning all of this things and put them into practice :P And this forum is quite active, friendly and fun, I really loved it!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Franenuss - Welcome to the forum. If you have not read many of her post you may not know that Applestar is the QUEEN of indoor seed starting and tomato gardening. What ever she says I take as Gospel.

Good luck

applestar
Mod

:oops: thanks :D

Franenuss

I've read a lot of the forum and I'm pretty clear Applestar is one of the most experimented I've read around (and not just in tomatoes, I've seen a lot of the pictures of her plants, and threads of tips, information, germinatiing seeds, and a long etcétera).

It's great to have advises from people so clear in what they do, I appreciate all of the advises and comments and suggestions I receive :D And since I'm a newbie I'm learning lots and lots in a quick pace thanks to them.

Ps.. Maybe my english is hard to understand, I'm sorry, but I guess the main things are clear: thank you all for the comments and specially advises from people so much experimented than me :D

Franenuss

Hi!

So, I followed the instructions of Applestar and made room of a few inches between the seedlings, but I didn't have the heart to throw away everything and transplanted the plants I pulled off to tiny plastic cups (with proper drainage, too). I did this yesterday and today the have grown a little and I believe they didnt resent the transplant :)

I'm keeping them in the cups until they outgrow them and I'll see if I fiind a spot to plant them or put them in biggest pots.

Hope they go ok :wink:
Attachments
hojillas.jpg
vasillos.jpg

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

If you give them proper light as Applestar described above, a little HALF strength fertilizer every third watering AFTER they develop their second set of true leaves, and only water when the top looks like it is drying out, then about 6 weeks from seed sowing day they will be big and ready to go into the ground or their final pots.

You will probably want to transfer the ones out of the group pot and into their own cup as soon as they start getting a second set of true leaves, because they will be needing the room to stretch their feet!

It is a very good idea when transplanting(uppotting) to plant with the stems buried up to the seed leaves because most of those little hairs on the stem will become roots.

Franenuss

Just updating a little: about 70% of my seedlings have now their true leaves, I had to eliminate a few seedlings because they were growing too close together, but by now everything goes right (I had a few deaths, probably from lack of light in two days here that were quite obscure).

I'll upload pictures maybe tomorrow, I hope all of your gardens go well!

:mrgreen:

Franenuss

Hi! I'm updating on my tomato plants. They have grown, they ARE growing, but not a the same velocity that in the first weeks of their lives. I think it is normal when they are bigger that the changes not be that noticeable, though.

I only have a photo from a few days ago. The plant that is modelling now have a new row of leaves (<3) and is taller, but not a lot. Just a few milimeters.

Here we have had temperatures reaching 0°C (water freezes at 0°C, so you have an idea in fahrenheit). So the plants have stayed inside next to the window receiving all the light they can during the day and I water them before I go to sleep (about 23.00 hrs).

I planted a few other things (cilantro, hot chilli and raddishes, the last one on the ground since I read in several places that it is a cold crop ... and I'm already seeing the seeds germinate -I planted them last sunday, so I think they are going quite fast- so I'm happy) that I'll be updating :)

Have a nice week to you all!
Attachments
Tomato a few days ago :)
Tomato a few days ago :)

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”