Super Green Thumb

They Grow!

In the South Window on a sunny March morning:

About a month ago in the greenhouse:

This week in the shed-attached hoop house::

:) Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Very nice! Healthy plants and I like the hoop house. That is a lot of plants; what do you do with them all?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

There is usually about 60 tomato plants in my garden, RainbowGardener. One neighbor will take nearly that many, another will take more. I will also sell some. (There are more tomato plants still in the overcrowded greenhouse.)

I'm having to be very attentive to the hoop house. The heating "system" is an 800watt heater and an oscillating fan. They sit down there where that blue box was.

It is 36°f with rain this morning. The "system" is doing just fine at keeping things above 45° through the night. I should be able to allow the (slightly) warmer daytime and the light to do all the warming after about 9am.

All of these older plants are large enough to set out but Casey's not quite ready to step into the batter's box ;)! Nothing except my onions have been harden-off, some have gone out in the garden. The kale and snapdragons have just begun that process. The Weather Service is promising the second 2014 afternoon in the 70's this week! I should finally be able to get a few of these outdoors!

I don't expect any strikeouts. No ma'am! But, it will be a few more weeks before these rookies make their garden debut :).

Steve

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

These are still in the greenhouse as of about 2 minutes ago and will stay in there with more warmth for awhile :). Oh, that is some basil there on the right, keeping them company:
Attachments
IMG_20140427_080926.jpg

applestar
Mod

Looking great! Far cry from my wobbly haphazard seedlings scattered around. :lol:
Glad to hear Casey's is trying to catch up :wink:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

This was a couple of days ago, the Casey's and Coyote are already noticeably larger. Casey's germinated and had about a week or more jump on Coyote.

:) Steve
Attachments
DSC00960.JPG

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Looking good. I am glad to see that other folks grow a lot of tomatoes, probably more than needed. Love the look of your hot house filled with healthy plants.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I probably do things a little like you do, Lakngulf.

You still do the distant gardening? Perennials stay here in a small yard but I have that greenhouse and can "populate" my distant garden faster than the neighbors can say Jack Robinson . . . well, nearly.

Then, everything has to be out of there in the fall.

Steve
who sure could enjoy a home on a lake!

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

digitS' wrote:I probably do things a little like you do, Lakngulf.

You still do the distant gardening?
We do enjoy life here in the country and on the lake. Took a boat ride late this afternoon.

"Distant Gardening": Well, some of my plants always find their way to my Mother's garden. This year I have about two dozen tomato plants alongside her garden. It is great soil, where my Parents gardened for years. Also, I have some planted on some of my hunting land, like last year. In addition, in late April I sent six plants home with my son who lives in Chapel Hill, NC.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

All that counts, Lakngulf.

From '93 until '09, I had a garden in Dad's backyard. Along in there somewhere, he quit gardening. He also had his 80th and 90th birthdays. Except for the last few years, he was running the sprinklers for me.

Meanwhile, I lived over 20 miles away and during all those years (and continuing), have had gardens on friends' property. I had 3 tomato plants in my own backyard last year. All the others were elsewhere.

Steve ;)

Colonel Flagg: I have no home. I am the wind.
Hawkeye: [to BJ] I told you he was the wind. You said he was the stars.
B.J.: No, I said he was the moon

applestar
Mod

M*A*S*H ref? Golly I haven't seen that show in forever, and I can STILL hear their voices in my head as I read those lines. :lol:

...I seem to be doing the aged parents' garden thing as well this year...

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:M*A*S*H ref? Golly I haven't seen that show in forever, and I can STILL hear their voices in my head as I read those lines. :lol:

...I seem to be doing the aged parents' garden thing as well this year...

M*A*S*H and Seinfeld. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

My Mother (89) has one of the best green thumbs around. She loves to see things grow. So my absolute BEST plants find their way to her small garden. Of course, she could take the worse and still outdo me. I love seeing her get the enjoyment of watching things grow.

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”