Jenny168

Using reflected sunlight to get more light to tomatoes

Hi,

I am conducting an experiment this summer with reflected sunlight. Living so close to the beach, days are often overcast and also the temperature is moderate. I had custom cages built a few years back for my Earthboxes. I had them painted a dark green. Even though the cages are 8 feet high they blended right in with the foliage behind the cages and were hardly noticeable. Over the weekend I sprayed the cages a glossy white and had plastic sheeting put up behind the cages. Yes, they now stand out and do not blend in but I can tell already that it is much brighter back there. There is still plenty of fresh ocean air circulating. I will have to see what the impact will be on my tomatoes this year in terms of better production.

My garden faces west and I am trying to make the most out of the sunlight I do get.

We planted 16 tomatoes over the weekend and I am waiting on 5 more that are coming this week. They will then be moved to the location on the third level on my property where the EB's go and where the AWT is.

For anyone with a similar situation, maybe this might help you too.

Happy Gardening!

Jenny

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Any pictures so we can see what you're describing? Also, maybe amend your signature to show your location. Finally, what are EB and AWT? I'm sure I'll slap my forehead when you say it but I'm running the acronyms through my head and drawing a blank...

Jenny168

Hi,

I have tried to post a photo but it says the file is too big. It's just a photo I took with my camera phone so I don't know why it is too big.

The EB stands for Earthboxes and the AWS Automatic Watering System. I made a mistake, it's not AWT so please don't slap your head. I will slap my own!

I am in Zone 10, Santa Monica, CA. I will see if I can figure out how to add that to my profile,

Regards,

Jenny

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”