hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

On track for May ripe tomatoes - Zone 8 South Carolina

Some of the grape tomatoes and salad tomatoes are nearing full size, but not green ripe yet. Hopefully 3-4 weeks will take them to full red ripe.

applestar
Mod

Looking good! Some of my tomato seedlings are out on the driveway enjoying the last couple of hours of sun for the first time. This time of the year, weaker but warm end of day sun works best for acclimating the indoor grown seedlings since it's still cold in the morning.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

It is always surprising to me, how fast your colder zone gardens seem to catch up once mild weather sets in. Our gardens tend to slow down so much in the heat of July and August, I'm not sure that annual production for summer crops is all that much greater in the south as compared to what northern and higher elevation gardeners get. Just look at what Jal_ut gets from his garden, and his growing season for summer crops perhaps barely makes it past three months.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Boy, you just wait, Alex!

The afternoon high is supposed to go above 60° tomorrow! First time this year . . .

Yeah, I think I might be permanently a half mile behind but always catching up. See the dust?!

Steve
enjoy those springtime tomatoes :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Nice Alex you may be the first on the HG block with tomatoes. I have a bunch of teeny fruit on my dwarfs just past the swelling stage. I'm hoping for April fruit but early May by the latest.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The local weather station calls for a low of 30 or 40 Wednesday night. I'll likely put a few plants in the ground after that, as long as the ten day forecast continues to show highs above 40 degrees.

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”