hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

2014 Lift off!

First tomato seedlings are up. Grape tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and larger salad tomatoes. Larger fruited seedlings will not be started until mid January with the main crop being started in mid February.

Aida

Ooo, good luck!
I've tried tomatoes multiple times, and lots of weird things always happened. For example, I had perfect tomatoes, until I picked them and cut into them-- exposing a rotten, black sludge. THe outside, however, never had any marks and the plant was very healthy. Creeeeeeeeeeeeepy.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Aida, I believe that is an "internal only" form of blossom end rot.
Best wishes and great weather for your upcoming season hendi_alex.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good to see Alex, not even thinking about it here at - 8 with a - 25 windchill. Brrrr.

Did just finish catloging my last 110 new arrivals so now I need to print it out and get to choosing.

I will joining you soon enough. May your garden grow big and strong this year Alex.

Dono

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My seed starting setup is very rudimentary compared to all of the very professional looking arrangements that many of you have. I'm not usually at a disadvantage, because the plants go out in the sunshine on most days during a typical February and March, with many outside days even during January. This year has been a beast however, and you will will notice how my plant's footprint has outgrown its supply of light. Nice thing is that in just a day or two, they will be back outside in the direct light with temperatures in the mid 60's. Still, I'm ready to move the whole setup outside into the unheated cold frame. Looks like the weather will prevent that however, at least for another few weeks. This is the second snow storm in the past couple of weeks. Very uncharacteristic of our recent winters!

First, here is how our usual 50's and 60's sunny day is looking today.

And here is our very amateurish setup.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

You know Alex, it still has it's own organization too it. I like it!

MB3

your setup looks really pro compared to my ghetto tek, don't be ashamed.
looks like a really good start to everything you have there.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

So here we have a three day snow and ice event, first time since the 1940's. Near the end of next week we are supposed to have four days in the 70's, with one near 80! Mid week the tomato plants go outside in the cold frame to stay overnight for several days.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Back out into the sunshine! High of 32 or 33 on Wed, upper 30's on Thursday. Today, the plants are back out in the sunshine and are looking for several days in the 70's next week. That is South Carolina weather for you! Can't say that I've ever placed my tomato plants outside when there was snow and ice on the ground.

applestar
Mod

Looking good!
It IS strange to see so much snow though isn't it?
I did notice that with all that white, it's a whole lot brighter :-()

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Noticed the formation of the first flower buds yesterday! Hopefully first fruit set by mid march and first ripe fruit by mid April. Most everyone else will be waiting until late June or early July for their first ripe tomatoes.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Several plants were outgrowing their pots so moved them up to 1 gallon nursery pots today. Thankfully there are only about eight plants in the gallon pots so far. Will be a lot more work next week when chilly weather returns and all plants must be moved between indoors and outside in the cold frame each day. Hopefully the weather has settled well before all 75 plants are up potted. By the end of March a dozen or more plants will be in 3 gallon containers.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Just goes to show that in spite of an 'on the cheap' setup and lousy weather, one can raise pretty good looking transplants. These are out in the sun again today, high in the 70's. Cold weather returns next week though.

Click on the image for larger view, if desired.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I just noticed open flowers on my largest plants this week. Those tomato plants are about 18 inches tall. Will go out today and tap the branches to help insure pollination and fruit set. We have had a three day cold snap, but starting tomorrow, the plants will outside 24/7 for at least the next 7 days.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Must be nice Alex, too cold here for out door activities (for that plants that is). Everything looks lovely, nice job I am excited as always to see your progress, here is to a great one. :D

I have several of my early dwarfs flowering, it will be early again for ripe tomatoes. There isn't nothing wrong with that.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

That is always my most exciting gardening game, shooting for very early tomatoes. In the best years we start to harvest a few before the end of May. Most folks around here are lucky to get ripe tomatoes before early July.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I feel ya Alex I have always been the first on the block with tomato's, even when I didn't know what I was doing. People say we are nuts, but is eating fresh tomato's even before May nuts I ask you? :lol: This year I am a little behind since it has been so cold, but like I said I have a small offering of super earlies. I think a late Jan drop.

This is Sleeping Lady, that big bloom in back right I believe is a mega bloom.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

First fruit has set on a few grape and plum plants. Here are a couple of photos. Largest fruit is about the size of a dime or penny. Looks like ripening date will be near the end of April.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Looking awesome.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Plants are a little taller, less bushy, more delicate than a typical year. They have been grown inside or in the greenhouse to much with too little time spent outside directly in the elements. Still big and healthy, hopefully getting ready to make a big crop. This cold unsettled winter has definitely held back our gardening activity.

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”