applestar
Mod

are these the right size for black cherry tomatoes?

I'm having such an odd year with so many "not true to variety type" fruits.

My second black cherry plant that was planted out late finally started to ripen... And these seem oddly too large to me. My black cherries from last year, from which seeds think this plant was grown, were only as big as the Snow White fruits in the photo. So bigger than the red Matt's Wild Cherries and small ivory Coyote, but not as big as the Black Cherries in the foreground next to the Not Earl's Green Cherry (NEGC) which are also larger than normal cherry size.

What do you think? Are Black Cherry fruits supposed to be this big?

Also while we're at it, are Black Cherry fruits supposed to have clear skin (more of 'purple' color) because that's how they were last year too.
Attachments
b9b2950c112993cab3b1d87ba91ff21a.jpg

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Now it's my turn to be jealous. Nice batch of tomatoes you have picked and such variety.

I grow the larger tomatoes as my main crop but have really come to like the cherry varieties since they produce many more per plant, are sweeter and seem to be bothered less by pests than the larger Creole's I grow.

I lost so many large tomatoes this summer that I pulled the plants out of frustration. We had a particularly bad year with leaf footed bugs, stink bugs and an assortment of sucking and boring bugs that ruined so many tomatoes it just made me give up on them. But that is how it goes sometimes with gardening. One year a bumper crop, the next season====bust.

Did I mention I'm jealous!! :lol: :lol:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

my Black cherries always vary with conditions. They do get pretty good size quite often.

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”