ChrisC_77

what's up with these spots? (picture)

not sure if this is anything to be concerned about.
Attachments
tomato.JPG
tomato.JPG

mattie g
Green Thumb

Could be stink bug damage.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Possibly:

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/vege ... y_spot.jpg

stinkbug damage, with the bug

But if so, there are an awful lot of them and OP should have seen them by now.

Is that the actual color of the tomatoes or a camera artifact? If it is the actual color, is it the color they are supposed to be? What variety are they?

applestar
Mod

I was thinking the same -- color. You can see normal colored tomatoes in the background.
The brown looks like lesion from possibly late blight (or frost-damaged fruits but thats not likely right?). They do also have what I would suspect to be stink bug puncture holes as well.

ChrisC_77

The browning or different color is a result of the problem. Parts that are not effected look normal. I sliced one in half. The inside looks perfectly fine. So I would suspect on the effected fruit, just peel them. I planned on using them for sauce.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have tomatoes that kind of look like that but they are supposed to. If those are supposed to be red or pink etc I would not be using them for sauce. 8)

It is some sort of piercing insect, and stinkbug could sure be it. The discoloration is throwing me off though. I have piercing bugs all over but the effected fruit usual rot with their respective color.

ChrisC_77

I guess my bottom line question is, should I just completely discard them? The inside looks normal.

mattie g
Green Thumb

ChrisC_77 wrote:I guess my bottom line question is, should I just completely discard them? The inside looks normal.
I (and pretty much any other tomato grower) have plenty of tomatoes that are blotchy. As long as they're not rotted, they're perfectly fine to use.

And even if they do have some rot, you can always cut around it and use the good parts.

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”