ChrisC_77

Green tomatoes...trying to be patient!

Here is a pic of one of my nicest clusters. I still have all green tomatoes. Plants are still putting out blooms! I counted and I have 110 roughly on 11 plants. My cherry tomato has about 25 or so at the moment. I have gotten 2 reds off that.

When should I start pinching off blooms as it will no longer be able to ripen in time? Say another week?

I am growing Early Girls, Beefsteak, and a 3rd that were given to me. I am not certain. Maybe Mortgage Lifter. On a full sun day, I get about 5 hours of morning sun as to partially shaded by my neighbors tree.
Attachments
green tomatoes.JPG
green tomatoes.JPG (34.53 KiB) Viewed 1569 times

imafan26
Mod

My advice make fried green tomatoes. You are lucky, the birds go after my tomatoes even when they are green.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Count back 5-6 weeks from your expected frost date and start pinching back then for mostly ripe fruit and full sized green tomatoes when frost comes.

gepstein

Here in CT the tomatoes have been slow to rippen...but I had my first good harvest yesterday! About 2 weeks later than other years so yes ...be patient!

gepstein

I've never pinched tomato blossoms. Is this to put all the plant's energy into ripening? rather than making new fruit?

ChrisC_77

gepstein wrote:I've never pinched tomato blossoms. Is this to put all the plant's energy into ripening? rather than making new fruit?
Neither have I but I have heard of it. I don't think it has to due with ripening. That is just a timing thing I think. I think the plant energies would go into growing the fruit and not quicker ripening.

Oh and BTW, they are ripening now. I have like 10 red tomatoes. I am hoping to triple that before I pick, because I want make something with a decent amount. But I am happy that they are ripening.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't pinch them either, but yes that's the idea. Once there isn't time for them to set fruit and ripen. It seems early to conclude that in W. Va. From blossom opening to ripe tomatoes might be six weeks - but you don't have to get to ripe tomatoes. When frost is threatening you can pick all the green tomatoes. For me, any tomatoes that have gone white even if they don't have any color yet will ripen up indoors.

And tomatoes are tougher than we think. I have had the experience of picking off all the tomatoes that were decent sized and had gone pale before first frost and then the plant survives just fine and the little ones I had left on it keep growing. So don't give up on your tomato plant too early.

But Chris, it sounds like next year you need to start your tomatoes earlier. I had my first ripe tomatoes at the end of June and this was a slow year. Some years I have ripe tomatoes in the middle of June. That's two extra months of tomato harvest. To me that makes the work of tomatoes a lot more worthwhile.

ChrisC_77

rainbowgardener wrote:
But Chris, it sounds like next year you need to start your tomatoes earlier. I had my first ripe tomatoes at the end of June and this was a slow year. Some years I have ripe tomatoes in the middle of June. That's two extra months of tomato harvest. To me that makes the work of tomatoes a lot more worthwhile.
Agreed. And in fact I did. But something at all my plants and I had to start over. :( Fortunately, I gave my parents some of the same variety. (Lemon Boy I think) and They gave me some. I was hesitant to replant for about 3 weeks. Thanks for all the advice!

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”