dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

Re: Gearing up for my first wave of Sun Golds!

Sun Gold has a very thin skin does not travel well not a good tomato for farmers market one of my favorite tomatoes to eat lol probably never get in the house with many of them. Sun Gold II some one grew it out it has a thick skin and really not near as good eating as the original.

imafan26
Mod

I grow sungol too. It might be the light, mine are more yellow or yellow orange. They are very sweet and have come in at the top of a lot of taste tests. I did not find the skin that hard. I have harder skinned tomatoes but I did find that mine at least are more tart when they are not fully ripe and mine always cracked when they were ripe. Other people have said though that they did not have any cracking.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

dustyrivergardens wrote:Sun Gold an all time favorite of mine....to bad it is a hybrid but oh well it is to good not to grow...I love it.
Lets not hate on the hyrbrid too much. 8) I have a ton of hybrids in my garden. Of course all of them are from people like me and you that crossbreed tomatoes in their backyards and farms. They are incredible, still working out the stability on most of them and even at this stage they are great. So they are not F1's like a true hybrid but they are still more hybrid that Open Pollinated or Heirlooms. But F1's are boring a lot of the time the magic happens at F2. Soon they will be heirlooms though because they rock. I could go on but this reminds of a thread elsewhere that asked the question "Hybrid Vs. Heirloom that I promised to reply in.

Gotta move my sprinkler now, a gardeners work is never done!! :()

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

gixxerific wrote:
dustyrivergardens wrote:Sun Gold an all time favorite of mine....to bad it is a hybrid but oh well it is to good not to grow...I love it.
Lets not hate on the hyrbrid too much. 8) I have a ton of hybrids in my garden. Of course all of them are from people like me and you that crossbreed tomatoes in their backyards and farms. They are incredible, still working out the stability on most of them and even at this stage they are great. So they are not F1's like a true hybrid but they are still more hybrid that Open Pollinated or Heirlooms. But F1's are boring a lot of the time the magic happens at F2. Soon they will be heirlooms though because they rock. I could go on but this reminds of a thread elsewhere that asked the question "Hybrid Vs. Heirloom that I promised to reply in.

Gotta move my sprinkler now, a gardeners work is never done!! :()

Gotta a few cross that I am growing out myself and I am not hating on hybrids just wishing I did not have to buy the seed for this yummy tomato..

imafan26
Mod

My sun gold is just teasing me. There are a few fruit but mostly it has a head of flowers. It is also pretty old, so maybe I need a new one.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

I had a petsitter at my house who " hates tomatoes" but will eat them on a sandwich. I told her to just try it, she argued, screwed up her face and bit into a sungold F1. You should have seen the expression on her face change. She ate a second and a third right there in the garden because she couldn't believe a tomato could taste so good. She told me she was picking them and aving tem with her breakfast every day while we eere gone, and that I turned her into a tomato lover.
That's the power of Sungold!
I find the skin to be normal, not thick.

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”