applestar
Mod

BIGGEST ONE YET :)

OK my monster tomato... And I doubt there'll be any bigger from my garden this year:

LEADBEATTER'S LUNKER 1 lb 5 oz. according to my kitchen scale :()
bc4da2c0cb828eeba4eeab728bb42eb9.jpg
Here it is dominating the rest of today's harvest :shock:
ed40866fd0afb0880143e224f967d878.jpg
Leadbeatter's Lunker fully ripe and cut up
Leadbeatter's Lunker fully ripe and cut up
Runner up:

WES 1 lb 3 oz. :D
c495dd3184463082d07a72823cea4f58.jpg
Attachments
Wes fully ripe
Wes fully ripe

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

you know, iffin' you don't grow more varieties, we can't help! (GGGGGGGGGGGGG)

I'm stunned. well done.

two of my three spiral stake tripods have fallen over. I reduced the "diameter" this year - appears to be a major boo-boo. and I'm not happy about it.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

That's like 600 grams! Who knew you could grow such ginormous tomatoes!

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Nice! I'm jealous! :)

jemsister

Holy mackerel! You must be doing something right, LOL! :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

AND it is so pretty!! Most of the really big tomatoes I see, look like really two tomatoes fused and are lumpy and ugly... Nice work!

applestar
Mod

:-() Guess what!? :-()

I harvested that Casey's Pure Yellow that I said was 2nd biggest on the plant, and look!
-- ANOTHER 1lb 5 oz fruit!! :() CPY might be more solid with less seed cavities/hollow air space.
2nd biggest CPY
2nd biggest CPY
407b8745b91278abf2b4c6804e2641a0.jpg
...this is the biggest Casey's Pure Yellow. It tore the stem so it's slw to open, but I'm hoping it will be OK....
f9dd3b303792faa919fd9e17bb3ed35a.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Wow! They look luscious, how do they taste?

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

I wish I still had the picture. A couple of years ago I planted some 'maters that my mother-in-law sent us from QVC. Anyway, one was this huge beefsteak type meaty pink tomato (the variety name has been lost to senility). So I took this picture and sent it to my dad. I took a single slice through the middle of this tomato to make a sandwich. The slice covered the bread...as in, looking down from the top you could not see any bread. A single slice completely obscured the slice of standard white bread underneath. I did weigh it at the time, but I've since forgotten what the weight was...

I need to either quit drinking or start drinking more...sigh...tough decision. I think I'll have a beer and think on it for a while...

applestar
Mod

It'll be another couple of days before we taste the Leadbeatter's Lunker, but we had a Casey's Pure Yellow before and I mentioned it here:
:arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 15&t=54230

...I see though that I wasn't very descriptive... We'll have another one tonight, so I'll try to add more details later.

We've had couple of Wes fruits already, but haven't really evaluated the flavor yet, other Thant it's "pretty good". Read that Wes tastes better when it is overripe, but so far, the fruits have developed soft spots before they get tat far. Another one is ready for eating tonight or tomorrow, so I'll try to compare with some other varieties in "Taste, Compare, and Share" thread.

applestar
Mod

:clap: NEW CHAMPION :clap:

CASEY'S PURE YELLOW: 1 Lb. 13 oz.
f35f7eb88a2823ed6cb7ba5cffed475d.jpg
2f3643231b72c80c4ebbaf1e273b5cec.jpg
1 Lb. 13 oz.
1 Lb. 13 oz.
e0e6b5c1f72ecbea4157b9f7c12b7ee1.jpg (31.64 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
Side-by-side with Leadbeatter's Lunker
Side-by-side with Leadbeatter's Lunker
Attachments
Casey's Pure Yellow at fully ripe
Casey's Pure Yellow at fully ripe

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Awesome Apple when I first read the top post saying 1.5 would be it I thought "Absurd". I know what you have going and there are some possible big boy's in there. I have been seeing lb'rs and 1 1/2 lbr's all over.

My problem is I think I really did find the big one already the 2+ Lehrertomate. thoug it is constantly throwing up some big ones none quite close to 2 or more. Even picked a Sgt Peppers the other day that was 1.14 oz.

Keep 'em coming I need to get some of my pics up.

ChrisC_77

applestar wrote:OK my monster tomato... And I doubt there'll be any bigger from my garden this year:

LEADBEATTER'S LUNKER 1 lb 5 oz. according to my kitchen scale :()
bc4da2c0cb828eeba4eeab728bb42eb9.jpg

At first glance, it looks like a small pumpkin. lol

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

OK....not quite the monsters previously shown, but this is my biggest of the year so far. I don't grown any really large varieties, so I've been pleased with my fruit size this year. I've had a couple Cherokee Purples right at a pound, and this German Johnson at 1 lb 5 oz.

applestar
Mod

Looks great! I was thinking German Johnson should produce big ones. I havent tried growing them yet, though. I decided I'll add it to next year's list after reading your taste review.

Did I post this picture yet? I might have one more largish tomato, then that will probably be it.
1 Lb. 7 oz mislabeled tomato (my tag said Dwarf Emerald Giant) -- probably Grandma Viney's Yellow and Pink
1 Lb. 7 oz mislabeled tomato (my tag said Dwarf Emerald Giant) -- probably Grandma Viney's Yellow and Pink
Many of my plants are going down to septoria and early blight, and I'm starting to see possible late blight indications. I'll have to examine them more carefully tomorrow (if it doesn't rain) and may haveto pull the plug on some of the suspect plants.

Under these circumstances, it was the early to mid season varieties that performed the best while the going was good, with the extra late varieties responding to the two week head start I gave them by beginning to mature with or even ahead of the mid season varieties.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

yeah....I've got disease all around in my main tomato patch...blight, leaf spot, and I'm sure a couple other things I don't have a name for...lol. The Cherokee Purple has resisted the best, but that could just be luck. It stinks because I did my maximum anti-blight effort there...great soil...weed barrier and thick mulch since before I even put the plants in. Oh well.

My cherries in buckets are pretty bad but still producing. I have a German Johnson in a bucket that is toast. My "mystery potato leaf" is in a different area, and was started later than the others. Its has virtually no disease to speak of (I did remove a couple of hinky lower branches a week or two ago). My dwarfs, also started later than the others, are in yet another bed, and have no disease to speak of either.

I may have a ripe fruit update for my dwarf post in a day or two :) ...and I'm still waiting for the mystery potato leaf to give me something ripe...

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Nice Apple. There is still time. I have been viciously pulling plants that are not performing. Still a ton out there though, this is my fav part of the year. The countdown to the final few. Who will it be this year?

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Wow!
This will be my first season growing Wes, yours looks luscious. :-()

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”