applestar
Mod

Re: 2013 Wild Boar Tomatoes - How are they Growing?

Yeah, BER is a pain because whatever it was, it was in the past. (Nice work tracing back the probable cause) Indigo Apple seems pretty productive once it gets going, so hopefully, there will be many new fruits for you.

applestar
Mod

I've been thinking that the Indigo Apple has an unique flavor when eaten with skin on, especially near the shoulder -- the skin itself and the underlying flesh.

...unfortunately, my Indigo Apple fruits have been lackluster in flavor below the equator. They don't have the lingering intense flavor that I like and worse ones can be watery and bland.

But I've been trying to puzzle out what I'm tasting in the upper half, and whether the antho in the skin has something to do with it. ...today, I ate my first eggplant out of the garden. I just sliced it and baked them in the toaster oven with meatballs in tomato sauce. The skin of this eggplant was tough and as I was chewing on the outer slice with all that skin, it occurred to me that the flavor was very similar to the Indigo Apple upper half with skin on that I just ate not 5 minutes ago (I had one of the solid antho-black shoulder fruits.)

...anyone else notice the same? ...or is it psychosomatic, eyes to brains kind of false recognition on my part?
Compare the eggplant at top of the photo with solid antho Indigo Apple next to it
Compare the eggplant at top of the photo with solid antho Indigo Apple next to it
(I promise to post something about the Amos Coli next time :wink:)
Attachments
Here are some more
Here are some more

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

Amos Coli tomatoes have been doing wonderful huge paste tomatoes absolutely one of the best fresh eating tomatoes for a paste, I would put them above Opalka. I am going to bottle some whole and sauce some so time will tell on just how good a tomato these really are but right now I am thinking they might have a spot in my garden for years to come. Next to my Rio Grande's and my San Marzano's lol....

webmaster
Site Admin

I haven't noticed the taste issue with the Indigos. Terroir? The Indigos were some of my best producers. The color in the skin has anti-oxidents I think.

Glad you had a good experience with the Amos Coli!

applestar
Mod

This is actually from seed giveaway a couple of years ago, but it seems the Berkeley Tie-Dye turned out to be Berkeley Tie Dye Heart -- all fruits were heart shaped -- and Wild Boar Farms does have this listed as a separate variety.

Here's what it looked like inside:
image.jpg
This last fruit harvested was absolutely delicious with rich lingering flavor. :D

I didn't take a pic after it was fully ripe, but here's one from when it was picked about a week ago:
Green and yellow striped heart at 3 o' clock is the Berkeley Tie-Dye Heart
Green and yellow striped heart at 3 o' clock is the Berkeley Tie-Dye Heart

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:I haven't noticed the taste issue with the Indigos. Terroir? The Indigos were some of my best producers. The color in the skin has anti-oxidents I think.

My Indigo's were very productive but flavor was lackluster for me.

Yes, Webmaster, they are high in antioxidants, however the real facts on any positive effects are unknown. Though we are led to believe that there is some benefit just form past encounters. The pigment is called anthocyanin. It is what makes purple and blue fruit their color.
In addition to their role as light-attenuators, anthocyanins also act as powerful antioxidants. However, it is not clear whether anthocyanins can significantly contribute to scavenging of free radicals produced through metabolic processes in leaves, since they are located in the vacuole and, thus, spatially separated from metabolic reactive oxygen species. Some studies have shown hydrogen peroxide produced in other organelles can be neutralized by vacuolar anthocyanin.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthocyanin

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”