gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Hows it going with you Apple?

Just up-potted a few things and put up another light. I had to scrounge around to find a good wiring alternative.
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC06315.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC06314.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC06313.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC06311.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC06307.jpg[/img]

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Wow! I am so impressed by the effort all of you are making to grow vegetables indoors. You make me feel ashamed for being too busy (lazy) to plant my fall garden. Consequently the only thing I have left are sweet banana peppers, bell peppers and green onions. I should have fall tomatoes, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, turnips, carrots, lettuce, mustard greens and spinach. Ow well I will just be jealous of your effort and wait until February to plant seeds and March for transplants.

So impressed by all of your pictures.

prettygurl

I love all of that green that you guys have going. Great job.

applestar
Mod

Looks amazing Gixx! All dwarfs right? Very sturdy and hefty looking.

Mine are wimpy compared to yours because I'm not giving them all big enough containers, but all of them including Black Krim are now starting to bloom and Zarnitsa more than any of them. Some of the non-dwarfs are beginning to show their unwieldy nature by being too tall and spindly.

As I mentioned, some Zarnitsa's are remaining compact while others are not. I'll be "selecting" -- I.e. only saving seeds from -- the compact plants.

Incidentally, my Brazillian Hot Lemon and Jalapeño peppers are starting to bloom too. Perhaps because I've picked all of the fully colored fruits that were left on the plants. -- electric toothbrush has been busy :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Looks beautiful, gixx, Applestar! You guys keep tempting me to want to try. I have all that space under my lights that is "only" being used as my Christmas basket factory right now. The only trouble is a few weeks after the Christmas baskets are given away, it will be seed starting time again and I will start needing the space for seeds - not all at once of course, but it is usually all filled up with seedlings earlier than the tomatoes can go out. ...

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Looks great Dono and Apple!

One question... will they ripen to taste like a real tomato?
Or will you need to use apples and their gases to promote ripening?

Is ripening after growth is completed influenced by time, temp, sunlight, or something else?

One thing for sure, you two will have the record for 2013 earliest tomatoes!

applestar
Mod

Ozark Lady! LTNS! So happy to have you join this discussion! :D
I'll wait for Gixx's input. I've always had one "volunteered in a indoor container" tomato over the winter (usually a cherry), but I've always given the ripened -- yes they do eventually ripen on the vine though it takes longer -- fruit to my younger daughter who loves tomatoes. She was always excited to see them color up and ready to eat though.

My winter tomato project this year is more planned but still not optimum I think. Gixx has lined me up with wide assortment of dwarf tomato varieties, and they are varieties he picked for superior flavor, but I had to see how these do. I'll be growing many of them next summer (so many! :roll: :lol: :>) and choosing next winter's best varieties :wink:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Apple without looking at my notes most of the tomatoes I gave you were not dwarfs.

Ozark Lady where the heck have you been. :D Nice to see you.

As far as raipening and taste with indoor tomatoes. It does take a while longer to ripen indoors, take into consideration the weaker light and other than optimal temperatures. I have kicked around the idea of using heat but so far I have not done anything with that idea.

applestar
Mod

Look at your notes :wink: (your PM under "so far") I'm well set thanks to you -- though of course I've developed an itch for a certain few more varieties.... :P

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Maybe I should check my notes. Lol. It's hard to say I have sent out about 250 packs of seed. Hard to remember.

As far as your itch there might be some cream for that. If not the Depot can hook you up.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

It might be beneficial to add a very bright normal socket light pointed at an angle to the sides of the plant to aid in ripening fruit and giving the lower leaves more light.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

gixx, are your plants getting any natural light or just the fluoros? If they are getting natural light, do you think it is very important compared to the artificial (e.g. do they tend to lean toward the window, do better in sunnier weather etc)?

applestar
Mod

Here we go -- this week's photo update: :()

Green fruits and trusses:
ImageImage
ImageImage

Here is a representative photo of Donomater floral trusses -- almost! :bouncey:

Another view of plants on the floor :wink:

As you can see all of mine are in front of SE or SW facing windows and get brief couple hours of wintry sun, but all have supplemental lights on them for up to 16 hrs. But my seed starting area in the windowless garage gets zero natural light, and the inside seed starting shelves sit in front of NW-facing windows and only get some setting sun during the summer months -- none at all during winter.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Looking good Apple your fruit are farther along than mine. I wonder if it has to do with some of the natural light you are getting where mine get none.

Is it me Apple or do those Donomater flowers look odd. Mine are the same as yours but they are Sooooo slender when they come out. With the base of some them being yellow long before they open up? Maybe I just never noticed it but they seem odd to me.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:gixx, are your plants getting any natural light or just the fluoros? If they are getting natural light, do you think it is very important compared to the artificial (e.g. do they tend to lean toward the window, do better in sunnier weather etc)?
RBG no mine get no real sunlight. They are backed up against a concrete wall. The only sunlight the get is diffused light but nothing direct. Unless I take them out to play outside on a nice day like I have had them for a few day's. Been around 70 for the past few day's and tommorow as well.

Here is Balkan Tiger F2 basking in the sun.

Rainbow see the lettuce,spinach in the background. They have been there for several months. I did this after you said something in a post a while back to someone else that sparked this idea.

Working great. Fresh salad when ever I want. :D

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

So impressive!

applestar
Mod

gixxerific wrote: Image

Rainbow see the lettuce,spinach in the background. They have been there for several months. I did this after you said something in a post a while back to someone else that sparked this idea.

Working great. Fresh salad when ever I want. :D
I had the same idea, but you're ahead of me there. I started some new salad green seeds over the weekend, and I just uppotted salad greens that were started back in Oct and left outside until now. I discovered they were doing OK in their little community seed starting containers last week, so I uppotted them today :D

They should be ready and harvesting by the time the winter tomatoes ripen :mrgreen:

applestar
Mod

Had to add this photo of mega/fused bloom Black Krim :()

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

OH MY! Apple the Black Krim is gonna get big. :D

applestar
Mod

First Donomater blossom opened today! Gave it a buzz with the toothbrush and it made a satisfactory pollen burst. :()

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Awesome Apple. I have several fruits myself. Now if only they will ripen.

applestar
Mod

Was out all day... Barely had time to mist thoroughly and open the blinds this morning... And note that we're having a sunny day for once with full sun streaming in the window with most of the leaves finally gone from the trees behind our property while giving open blossoms a quick buzz with the ultrasonic toothbrush.

So imagine my thrill on finally getting around to checking on them to see that the first Sophie's Choice fruit is BLUSHING!!! :clap:

At 2" diameter, it's much smaller than its supposed to be, but I DON'T CARE -- IT'S BLUSHING!!! :-()

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That looks great Apple, I am jealous, :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

WOW! Beautiful... I finally broke down and bought some supermarket tomatoes to cook with and was disgusted when I cut in to them... hard and pale and tasteless.

And you are doing all this with window light and fluorescents, right? I mean no metal halide or anything fancy like that? Because I know in past years I have told people here that it couldn't be done, to get them to fruit and ripen without high intensity lighting. I will be more careful in the future! :oops: But I think it is possible that only some one like you, Applestar (and gixx!) with green thumbs up to your elbows could do it.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Hey, I have green armpits. :lol: I'm not sure it's worth the time and energy.

I could spend x on pale tasteless store bought or x on time / energy. Apple can you fill in the second X :)

Very nice Apple

Eric

applestar
Mod

Will respond later when I'm not between errands :wink:

Dropped in to show that my salad greens are growing, too. :D
(ignore the exposure color of the first :roll: 2nd one looks more appetizing)

applestar
Mod

Hmmm... Wanna see the latest? 8)

First a teaser -- photos from Friday (3 days ago :wink: )

Last edited by applestar on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

...and today the fruit looks like this :D

...it's not soft to the touch yet, so it may actually ripen some more. I'm not sure if I should wait one more day...mustn't rush it right? :wink:

The main "Winter Wonderland" area by the SE window with the best light set up ( 4-tube T-8 fixture) on a counter table 36" above the floor where this tomato is ripening looks like this now:

applestar
Mod

I wanted to show the rest which are not necessarily ideal set ups but ARE beginning to produce as you can see :wink:

"The Tall and the Cool Gang" on the floor where overnight temps can get down to 53-58°F. Small SW window with low winter sun mostly blocked by a pine tree. One 2-tube T-12 fixture standing vertically:
My new Day avocado in the front. if you zoom in past that to the tall Black Krim in the back, you'll see a fused blossom fruit. A Sophie's Choice in a 2L soda bottle with several small fruits are hiding in between.
(You might also zoom in on the "Free Bubble Bath for Gnats" if you dare :twisted:)

"Bench Squatters" are starting to outgrow the utility lights and are looking lanky. Wide SE window somewhat blocked by a wall to the right. Two clamp on utility lights with daylight CFL bulb, one on each side. I plan to increase to two bulbs on each side by adding Y-splitter sockets OR buying additional clamp on utility lights:
If you zoom in, there are two blooms on top of this Black Krim. One has set fruit.

Fused blossom Black Krim fruit with two others on the same cluster.

One of the upstairs Donomaters with a pea-sized fruit. Big sepals are sometimes indication of big fruit, I hear. SE unobstructed window, one clamp on utility light with daylight CFL bulb on each side:
Close up:

Today's dreary weather does nothing to enhance the sorry images. :roll:
Last edited by applestar on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

applestar
Mod

DoubleDogFarm wrote:Hey, I have green armpits. :lol: I'm not sure it's worth the time and energy.

I could spend x on pale tasteless store bought or x on time / energy. Apple can you fill in the second X :)

Very nice Apple

Eric
Thanks Eric. :D
Let me answer this question. For me, if you read between the lines, I'm having FUN!!! :(). So yep well worth the time and energy.

If you'd asked "...and money" my answer still would be yes because even though *I'm* not doing this for money, the experience is priceless: This winter's NEW EXPERIMENT will give me the feel for what these plants need to grow and fruit, and what traits to use as criteria for future variety selection.

I'm trying these varieties to see the differences in their individual traits. The Black Krim was a bonus (I was fermenting the seeds and left them too long and they started to germinate). It *should* be noted that mine is a shorter growing, earlier maturing strain, which worked out well. (In fact the seeds were marked with ? for possibility of cross with Red Boar -- another reason I wanted to save the seedlings)

People may call me nutz: but putting all this time and energy into these NEW EXPERIMENTS and then sharing these findings gives me a sense of accomplishment that if others want to try growing tomatoes like houseplants during winter months, they may be able to find some information they could use here: Next year's second x will be less than *my* this year's for everyone.

So, don't you feel like reserving a space in your (green)house for some winter tomatoes now? :mrgreen:

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Your winter tomatos are doing better than my summer tomatos. :oops: I know what went wrong so I can fix it.
-I started them to late
-I didnt give them enough water
-It was to hot I have to shade them in that spot
and I had pollination areas. Is their something I could use besides an electric toothbrush to pollinate them? I don't really want to have to buy a toothbrush but I guess I will if I cant find anything suitable.

applestar
Mod

You could set your cell phone to vibrate.... Nah. :P

Almost any cheap electric toothbrush is supposed to work. I often see coupons for children's electric toothbrush in the flyers. No doubt they're available online as well. You could get Dora the Explorer, Hello Kitty, or Thomas the Train, or Spiderman. :wink:

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I could use my cell phone lol. Ill go look at amazon. What doesn't amazon have?????

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Could you just flick flowers with your fingers? I do that occasionally to the tomato plant and cape goosberry I have outside right now.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I don't know. I already ordered a cheap toothbrush from amazon. It should work good for what I want it for.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005D6 ... 00_s00_i00

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

reptile - the tomatoes you are talking about are outdoors? You shouldn't have to do anything to them, they are self-pollinating.

But you are in SoCal and mentioned need for shade. If daytime temps are consistently 90 or above and/or night time temps consistently at 75 or above, tomatoes will not set fruit. The pollen, which is a protein, denatures, like getting cooked. Electric toothbrush or anything else you would try will not make a difference when the pollen grains have broken down.

applestar
Mod

Good point Rainbow. It's possible though, that stimulating the flowers to drop pollen during earlier cooler season or cooler times of the day -- by flicking the floral trusses or buzzing with the electric toothbrush -- may help? Pay attention to when the variety matures and try to start/plant them out so they will be ready to bloom before the hot weather arrives. These varieties I'm growing are readily setting fruit in 58-68°F temperature range.

... :D :D :D ...

My one tomato loving daughter and I ate the first Sophie's Choice today:

Seeds started on Sept. 2 so approx. 3-1/2 months to first ripe fruit. Not bad, at all, really. 8)

The flavor wasn't as rich as the super flavorful tomatoes that we'd become spoiled by this summer (Black Krim, Prudens Purple, Black Cherry, Haley's Purple Comet, Red Boar, Yellow Brandywine, Sunsugar F2, Matt's Wild Cherry, etc.) but this Sophie's Choice first fruit had a bright tomato flavor with a bit of acid tang, and great mouth feel -- none of the mealy blah. Thin skin that didn't bother me at all to eat. We both reached for the next piece to stuff in our mouths until the plate was empty. :()

Scooped gel out of four cells (about half) to save. :wink:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Awesome that was fast. When did you plant Sophie's Choice?

applestar
Mod

I dropped seeds for Sophie's Choice and Zarnitsa on September 2.
Donomater F2 was dropped on October 5.
I have to go look at the plant tags to see when I started Black Krim.

...don't you hate it when you realize you didn't keep good records? None of the existing Black Krim tags say when they were sown, only the first Uppot date. :roll:

But judging by the OP of this thread (dated 10/7/12), in which I mentioned that I sowed the Black Krim seeds because they had started to germinate in the fermentation cups and they had started to sprout, I would guess that I must have sown the pre-germinated seeds on 10/5 when I dropped the Donomater seeds. Whew! now I can go fill in my notes. :wink:

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:reptile - the tomatoes you are talking about are outdoors? You shouldn't have to do anything to them, they are self-pollinating.

But you are in SoCal and mentioned need for shade. If daytime temps are consistently 90 or above and/or night time temps consistently at 75 or above, tomatoes will not set fruit. The pollen, which is a protein, denatures, like getting cooked. Electric toothbrush or anything else you would try will not make a difference when the pollen grains have broken down.
I know they are self pollinating but they had no bees on them (I have no idea why considering their are a lot of bees here and they get almost now wind because they are tucked away in a corner. Night temps are never above 75. When the first fruit was setting it was not 90 degrees. That leads me to believe it was pollination. And the few fruit that did set the flowers were open for probably a month first.

Anyway congrats. That tomato looks so good...

Return to “Tomato Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”