minnesota_girl

Garden Design for Sandy Soil & Full Sun

Hi, I am adding on to my flower bed, it's a small area but this is what I have come up with so far, any sugestions and tips on these plants? Any plants you think I should include? I have sandy soil and the location is full sun, very dry.

So far:
mountain lilies
tulips
salvia
roses
coreopsis
blue fescue grass
roses
autumn joy sedum

and for the little bit of partial shade coral bells
Last edited by minnesota_girl on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samiamvt

It sounds pretty.
What came to mind for me when I read your list is Artemesia 'Silver Brocade'. It looks real nice with roses and with Coreopsis.
Also, and I know it's common, but common for a reason...you can't beat Rudbeckia with 'Autumn Joy'.
One other thought, what kind of Heuchera? If it is dark leaved, then maybe something with dark leaves in the sunny area for balance.
Okay, make that two other thoughts.
Lavender likes it sunny and dry and looks awesome with roses, but I'm not sure if it is too cold where you are to grow it? It does okay here in zone 4.

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Roses like a steady supply of moisture and tend to be heavy feeders so they are at odds with the cultural preferences of more natural allies like salvia, sedum, nepeta, coreopsis, some grasses including blue fescue, etc.

minnesota_girl

Thanks samiamvt, I like the idea of Artemesia 'Silver Brocade', and I was debating whether or not to add rudbeckia. I'm not sure what kind of heuchera I just like them and decided I wanted some. I can grow lavender here. I am zone 4 but on the border of 3. I think I will add lavender.

Thanks for the tips MaineDesigner, samiamvt.

cklandscapingorlando

I would ad a drip system.With the roses needing more water you can add the correct size dripper to give proper amount of water to each plant.You can get a 50ft. starter kit from one of the big boxes for about 30 buck and it hooks right to a hose or in ground system.You can also buy a small timer that will run it for you.This will also cut down on fungus issues from over head water on the rose leaf.You could also try the knock out rose which is resistent to most common rose problems and is trimmed as a hedge.It has come under fire from chili thripes though.

minnesota_girl

I decided roses weren't best for the location, I made a different bed. First I killed the grass, then brought over some horse manure from the compost pile. I planted five hybrid teas. I plan to mulch it, then cover it with straw an autumn leaves so it survives the winter.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”