badgerer
Newly Registered

Looking to fill a few flower beds...

Hi guys and girls,

The subject says it all really...I want to grow from seeds (cheaper and more rewarding) so I'm assuming they will need to be grown in a greenhouse.

What would you suggest at this time of year?

I'm looking to fill two flowerbeds, about 3' x 15' each. I would like low growing (no taller than say 10"-15"?) and nice and colourful.

I think it may be the wrong time of year for this, but what would you suggest?

As you might've guessed I am not an experienced gardener at all (great at weeding, ho-ing and all that, but when it comes to planting anything I'm lost!) so your help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Are you wanting annuals or perennials? :wink:
VAL (Grandpa's Rose)

badgerer
Newly Registered

hmm...I hadn't really considered that, I'm up for either at the moment really!

A clue as to where you reside would be helpful in providing information. The U.S. ?? Canada??

Concentrate on a soil test, and amending beds now. Fall perennial plant exchanges and seed trading events should be starting up in early September in the mid to northern U.S. states. Perennial starts are good in that you can see the plant texture and get growing information from the trader. If you live in a cold climate you can winter sow seeds in containers that sit outside thru the winter.

Familiarize yourself with plants native to your area. Check your local library or look around your neighborhood. Do you have a color scheme in mind? Perennials will return year after year and have a specific flower schedule, spring summer or fall. Annuals are one growing season plants and generally flower most of the season to the first frost.

Plan to stagger plantings in the beds. Taller plants (15") near the middle, filled in with mid-height plants (8-12") and some lower growing plants as edgers.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Amount of available light? Soil moisture? Facing?

Need more input...

HG

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hey badgerer -
I grow from seeds all the time and I don't have a greenhouse!
The little peat starter pods work out fine, just remember they're super-low on nutrition. I've stopped using them in favor of old yogurt cups filled with Black Kow, with 3-4 seeds in each cup. A little baggie over the top of the cup (or, if you get the yogurt that has the clear plastic caps it's all the easier!) helps retain the humidity/moisture.
Once they sprout to about 1" I take the plastic away.
Once the seedlings are about 3" tall I start getting them used to Mother Nature, for a few hours at first in a mostly shaded spot, then gradually to the light levels they will be recieving in their new bed. Pick a cloudy day, or an evening with a full moon, and set them out. They don't stress as badly that way.

Would love to help suggest seeds for you - let us know the light level, your location, colors, etc. Some plants start very easily from seed and others... not so easily!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”