Sienna Dawn

Wow... I never heard of a sunflower house before... how very cool!! I'd love to try that next summer! Is it something you just thought up, or is there a guideline of some kind.. somewhere?

Great pics, *very* cool playhouse for some lucky kids!

Rukah
Newly Registered

Hey Ya'll :D

First of all, you all have BEAUTIFUL sunflower houses :D I am going to attempt to do my first sunflower house this year. I do have a few questions as I am new to gardening in all aspects. My fiance' and I are getting married September 19th of this year, and sunflowers are my main flower in the wedding. To save on the wedding, I've decided to attempt to grow my own flowers for the ceremony and reception. I just hope it works as planned.

I know nothing about sunflowers and nothing about gardening, so I have a few questions. I noticed your sunflower "houses" and had never heard that term before. I have gathered that sunflowers need lots of sun, and I'm assuming they are best if planted in a square shape of sorts? Also, how long untill they bloom? What are the chances of me actually being able to use these flowers, as well as others (not yet decided upon) in mid september when it comes time for the wedding?

We also have 2 different locations on our property we are using for a Garden. Should they be close too or away from that area? Any and all advice for a first time grower would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks Ya'll!! :D

egrocco
Newly Registered

Hi,
I am helping to create a children's garden in an empty sunny lot next to a community health clinic in an urban neighborhood.

We need a fence, and I love the idea of making a living fence similar to your sunflower houses.

I would love to show the children pictures of your sunflower houses, but can not access them.

Could you send them to me?
thanks, e

cherlynn
Cool Member

This is the first time that I've looked at this post in quite a while, so I was surprised to see your comments Sienna Dawn, Rukah and Egrocco! Thank you!

Last year was my first year growing a Sunflower House. Actually it was this post, by applestar, that brought me to this Garden Forum! Applestar is quite knowledgeable, as are many other gardeners on this forum!

Sienna Dawn,
Did you plant a Sunflower House? I'd love to see photos!

Rukah,
Sunflowers are a Beautiful choice for your wedding! Yes, sunflowers need a lot of sun; however mine did quite well with partial sun last year. They were a bit late, though! This year I have planted the Sunflower House in a sunnier location...our yard has a great deal of shade. There is no need to plant the sunflowers in a square...this is just the design of the Sunflower House. I am not familiar with your growing season in Georgia; however I have just planted our sunflowers this past week and expect them to be in full bloom by mid or late August...hopefully! If you have not found your answers to your questions you may want to post your question as a new topic.

Egrocco,
I'm sorry that you could not see our photos. I will try to send them to you. How is the children's garden progressing? You may want to check out the book "Sunflower Houses: Garden Discoveries for Children of All Ages" by Sharon Lovejoy. I read it after I planted my sunflower house and absolutely loved it! She also has a few other books with lovely ideas for gardening with children!

Happy Gardening!

applestar
Mod

Welcome back Cherlynn! :D
Looking forward to photos of your new Sunflower House.
Mine is planted with tomatoes, corn, bush beans, Scarlet Runner Beans, Kakai hulless seed pumpkins, and Delicata squash this year... :roll: :wink:

cherlynn
Cool Member

Hi Applestar :D

I've been around...just a bit "low key".

WOW...what a Delicious Sunflower House! I am always amazed at all of the interesting gardens you've planted...especially your Keyhole garden and rice paddy!

I've moved the Sunflower House and had many large rocks to remove in the new spot! I planted Mammoth and Tigers Eye Sunflowers and Luscious Bicolor Sweet Corn so far! I've also planted a "cardinal climber" at the entrance. I still need to buy some Velvet Queen Sunflower seeds! I'll be adding Blue Lake Pole Beans and Kniolas Purple Morning Glories within the next few days. I would like to plant some mini pumpkins, but the only pumpkin seeds I bought were New England Pie Pumpkins...hmmm?!?! I'll be planting some Garden Delight Tomatoes in the corners...if my unhappy seedlings perk up!

I'm still contemplating planting a small teepee...The fun never stops!

Good to share with you again! I hope to see some other Sunflower Houses, as well, this year!

Happy Gardening!!!

Penny for your Thoughts
Newly Registered

I have a question about the sunflower house. I have planted one this yr. for the first time (5 x 5). I planted a mixture of Mammoth sunflowers, pole beans, velvet queen sunflowers, and morning glories. They've already started to grow-around 4 inches tall now. I am wondering now about spacing. How far apart should my plants be from eachother...I maybe should have thought about this to begin with, but I didn't! Right now my plants are about 3 inches apart from eachother? So does anyone have any advice on how far apart I should thin all of this? or should I just let them all grow? :?

applestar
Mod

Well, 3'' is way too close. Even pole beans by themselves need at least 6" spacing in an ideal raised bed. So you will need to thin them out. :wink: If their leaves are already touching, then clip them off at soil line so the roots are not damaged. If not, you can water well so the soil is saturated, then gently lift them out and transplant elsewhere in the garden. :D

Thin your mammoth sunflowers at least 12" apart, 18" would be better. (I think mine was in a staggered rows so that in a straight line, they were 24" apart) I'm not sure about the Velvet Queen -- Cherlynn will know. Ideally, you would've let the sunflowers grow a bit to give them a head start before starting the other climbers -- you might need to have them grow up bamboo, sticks, or other support initially. I think I planted the beans about 6"~8" away from the sunflowers. You are going to need to hill (pile up additional 6" or so of soil) around the roots of the mammoth sunflowers so take that into account or you'll end up burying the other plants. :roll:

cherlynn
Cool Member

Welcome "Penny for your Thoughts"! I agree with Applestar that 3" is too close. My seed packet for the Mammoth Sunflowers says 24"...the Velvet Queen packet says 18"! I believe that mine were a bit too close last year...maybe 8" or so apart...in double rows on two sides of the Sunflower House...single rows on the other two sides. I transplanted a few to other spots where the plants were not doing well and along the fence on the side of our yard. I did this late in the day and watered them well!

My beans were planted about 4-5" away from the Sunflowers....they did well, but that didn't leave a lot of room for hilling the sunflowers!

Applestar is right about waiting a bit to plant the climbers...however I do get a bit impatient.... :)

I'm looking forward to seeing your Sunflower House!

Decado
Green Thumb

This has inspired me. Not to build a sunflower house, but just to plant a bunch of sunflowers.

Penny for your Thoughts
Newly Registered

AWESOME. thank you guys for all the advice!!! I really should have read up and planned better before starting this project, but now I know for next year what to do. it will be interesting to see how this one turns out or if it even will! :) I plan on taking some pics of it as it progresses...now I just have to get this camera some batteries! (...and thin these plants a bit!) :oops:

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”