Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

What is this Yellow Goo Coming up from Flower Bed Soil?

goo?
Last edited by Charlie MV on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

fuligo septica.
Last edited by Charlie MV on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webmaster
Site Admin

Thanks for following up.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Based on your description with it appearing on hardwood mulch in the area you described, you many not have Dog Vomit Mold although Dog Vomit slime molds do have a phase where they are lumpier and chunkier like... undigested upchuck. Try the one that looks like fresh scrambled brains as that's got a similar color that is a cheesy canary yellow but it definitely has texture to it with all kinds of folds and such. I think it's common name is Witch's Butter. Both are equally harmless and are integral components of the decomposition process. They don't last long either so enjoy them while you can. They're fun and are definitely a great conversation piece when they pop up out of nowhere in a garden.

I'm pretty good with unicellular and acellular slime molds. If you post a photo right now, I can probably tell you which one you have. Love the vibrant colors of these slime molds. There's a raspberry colored one out there and one that is the color of Italian lime ice! Ummm, tasty! Just kidding but these are a lot of fun.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Can't
Last edited by Charlie MV on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Change out all the mulch you are using in that area if slime molds make you uncomfortable. I suspect it will be back next year or possibly even this year based on what I know about them.

Here's the deal, slime molds are saprophytes. They feed on decaying matter. They pretty much only crawl up on mulch when they're ready to reproduce. That means you've probably got millions of tiny spores (seeds) that were already released in that area and they're all on the equivalent of a slime mold smörgasbord. If you stressed the slime mold and it didn't produce spores, it would have formed a sclerotium which is a rather unique form of reproduction that has the capacity to reproduce exponentially.

I find slime molds fascinating but realize there are those who don't. For others who may find them beyond interesting, please know that slime molds don't harm plants. They are not even close to being classified as a turf or garden pest but are actually classified as a beneficial. In other words, these beneficial organisms are highly desirable in a garden setting because of their invaluable contributions- they are decomposers. They may very well be disgusting to some but they're presence is actually a sign of a healthy ecosystem. Believe it or not, slime molds have recently been found to feed on pathogenic fungi that can be harmful to plants. Call slime molds a natural form of fungus control. If one sees these types of slime molds, best to leave them be because chances are good they have appeared for a reason and are Mother Nature's way of dealing with fungi that can be injurious to plants. Many people who find them will try to disperse the spores to the wind in an attempt to move them to areas that are more favorable to their development.

Hate to be so blunt but, slime molds are friend not foe.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

flowers.
Last edited by Charlie MV on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I'm pretty picky about my color scheme around here too particularly when a plant is in up tight around my home. I don't particularly care for cheesy canary yellow myself in favor of pastels such as light yellows, light pinks, and light lilacs. The thing around here is that we have kids and the existence of slime molds is a great way to teach them that appearances can be deceptive. Plus, they get a kick out of the bright raspberry colored slime molds because they look so out of place. They look like splattered raspberries on the ground with no raspberry bushes in sight. I have a photo of a coral slime mold that I found that even gardeners who don't like slime molds find attractive. It's beautiful and looks like an underwater white sea anemone.

I think you might want to seriously consider removing the mulch you chose for that area. Replace it with something less inviting. Try cocoa shell mulch. It's affordable and it's got an attractive color that you might find capable of complementing your red flowers.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Just
Last edited by Charlie MV on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JPlovesflowers

Charlie, I'm certainly no expert on slime mold, but I have had lots of experience with the one you're dealing with. We moved to Northwest Arkansas from Central Virginia 2.5 years ago and have had dry summers up until this year. This spring has been very wet and I have had lots of slime mold in my beds. We had them every year in Virginia, especially when it was really wet. We mulched with double shredded hardwood most of the time unless I could get enough pine straw at a good price, and so when I saw it here I just assumed that it was a natural result of the mulch and the moisture. I don't know the whys and wherefores that Lorax listed, but I put 2 and 2 together and figured out that the fungus was probably contributing to the breakdown of the mulch over the soil which I knew would be beneficial to the plants. Our soil in Virginia was wonderful after a few years and the slime molds only last a couple of days to a week and then they are gone. This is the first year I've seen it here, and the first year I've seen any positive action in my soil...so I count them a blessing. If you don't decide to change out the mulch for something different, maybe you can stand it for a few days and reap the benefits down the road. Best of luck.
JP

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Probably not a good idea since you don't want it around. Remember, slime molds are decomposers. People have found them living quite nicely in their composters. Also too, there are slime mold spores capable of remaining viable in excess of 50 years. Don't think this would be a good candidate for you to feed to your composter but if I lived closer to you, I'd take it off your hands.

JPlovesflowers' observations are correct as to how long they last. Not more than a few days and at tops a week if that helps with the decision process.

One thing for clarification, a slime mold is not a fungus. There are all these people out there who don't understand much about them spraying fungicides around recklessly trying to get rid of these organisms and they think their fungicides are working when the slime mold disappears but the slime mold would have disappeared anyway.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

TBD?
Last edited by Charlie MV on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JPlovesflowers

Charlie,
Sorry for your drought. When we first moved here, I thought it never rained. I still may have been right, the old-timers here say that it's never rained here like it has this year. I have never had the luxury of compost, we don't have the space, but my mom has been making hers since I was a little girl and I know the benefits that it has. One of these days I may talk my husband into moving to the country where we'll have the space to do that, until then I guess I'll have to take my funguses (is that a word?) in stride.
:wink: JP

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

UPDATE

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”