ApertureF11Sniper
Cool Member

Any idea where I can get pepper wax?

And yes this is the right forum for this question and people who are familiar with that product will know why.

applestar
Mod

Ok…. I’m like “what the heck is pepper wax….?” :lol:

imafan26
Mod

Its an animal repellent. I never heard of it either.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

There are a number of companies that make it, including Bonide.

Perhaps it would have been effective during those years when I was a community gardener. The gardens were on park department land and the rules included that it was forbidden to even "harass" wildlife. All the gardeners gave up their gardens over time. I was the last of a total of two of us, after 6 years of the marmots.

I had deer that came into my fenced garden once but it was the marmots that were the biggest problem. During the garden season, they would always find a way to make it into my garden after a few months. In my current, distant garden, there are also marmots but not in the numbers as there were on that park land. I will harass them effectively there by driving large rocks into their burrows.

This morning, I had some fun looking for a homemade recipe for hot pepper "wax," thinking that it might be mixed with something like neem or insecticidal soap. Perhaps so but I didn't find it. Something that I did come across was the use of sesame oil as an insecticide. I'd discounted that on reading about it before because both neem and the soap works for aphids and such. Somehow ... the idea of using it with water used for cooking hot peppers has some kind of appeal to me ;).

Right now, I have many peppers started in the greenhouse. At the same time, there are bags of dried Thai Hot and Super Chilies in a kitchen cabinet. I really didn't need to start so many more plants!

I can't be indiscriminate about spraying in a large garden. The marmot homes can be searched out and they can be harassed (by the way, they always dig themselves out but then, they evidently pack their bags and move :)). Benjamin Bunny wouldn't like that spray, I bet, but rabbits haven't been too much of a problem of late. We will see - if they start on my beans, I may give the sesame/pepper idea a try.

Steve

applestar
Mod

Oooh so it’s like hot pepper based — intended to be spicy when eaten type? “Wax” I suppose so it stays on without washing out?

…I see why “flower garden design” — also why I don’t pay as much attention since I’ve kind of drifted from growing ornamentals and have been trying to stay within realms of either “edible landscaping” and/or “wildlife habitat” …while trying to protect edibles that are “mine” from wildlife … if that makes any sense.

I rarely use “spicy when eaten by wildlife” repellents for this reason (because what’s spicy to wildlife is likely spicy to human tastebuds) but when I need to, what I have been doing is to save defective hot peppers — either at harvest or during fresh storage or dehydrated storage. These are used in combination with used grease or pantry clean out “expired” salad and cooking oils.

I also save garlic in the same way.

…I do use these hot peppers and garlic to make hot water steeped insect repellent spray for the vegetable garden, adding a bit of soap and a bit of light oil as stickers (which also serves to kill the smaller soft-bodied sucking pests).

The trouble with mostly oil-based sprays is that they will easily burn plants in high temperature and in direct sun… So I do use them as herbicides on invasive weeds.

imafan26
Mod

The critters in my garden are usually birds. And they eat the peppers. So, I like to grow larger peppers that are harder for them to swallow and I have to use net bags on the peppers that they really like or share it with them.

Feral cats used to be the problem at the community garden I went to, and thieves of the two legged kind that like to steal bananas and crops right when they are ready to be harvested. They take everything. The cats were not that big a deal for me because I plant densely. Whenever, I had to redo the garden bed. I did it in one day and immediately replanted it. I used plastic fencing over the bed until the seedlings came up to keep the cats from using the garden as a toilet. Feral chickens are something else. They will eat seeds and seedlings, so I would have to put up bird netting to protect the seedlings.

I suspect the birds ate some of the corn an bean seeds. There is a section of the main garden I planted where there is not one seedling of either in sight.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”