Elizabeth C
Newly Registered

White wisteria not ever blooming

look forward to hearing from someone who has experienced my current problem: I've had a white wisteria vine for 20+ years. It is planted on the west (sunny) side of our house and has never bloomed. Truthfully, I had forgotten that it was there. When I revised the landscaping on the west side, I found it and liberated it from the encroaching Asian Jasmine, daylilies, etc. When it didn't bloom the next year -- after it's freedom -- I read in a garden book or magazine that it should be severely pruned in the late fall / early spring. I did that January 2008 and followed up with fertilizer. No blooms. Any suggestions for the rest of this year and next? I'd like to save the plant since I've had it so long.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi :D
I have not come across a non-flowering Wisteria but I have dealt with poor flowering, overgrown and badly pruned Wisteria.

When you say pruned hard can you tell me how exactly you pruned it?
If pruned wrongly they will not have any bud spurs to flower from.
Check this if you are in any doubt about how to prune....
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0605/wisteria.asp
The other reason for no blooms is the state of the soil. Wisteria like a rich, soil that does not dry out too much. If too dry or poor they will not produce flowers.
Hope that hlps. 20 years is a long time to wait for flowers! :)

Elizabeth C
Newly Registered

Thanks for the link. :D Reading the information there tells me that the article I read last year probably recommended pruning too severely. It was suggested that all stems / trunks be cut back to about 30"; I did that. Then early this spring I put some low nitrogen fertilizer on the flower bed. Last month -- after recognizing that the regular wisteria in the area had bloomed -- I added some fertilizer that is supposed to help flowers / shrubs bloom. Still nothing is happening except the leaves look vigorous and the new growth is exceeding the 5 foot obelisk that I am currently using for support.
State of the soil is something that I have not addressed over these years. The topsoil is thin (12 inches of less) and rests on a rotted limestone base. I need to have my soil tested apparently. The water amount is probably okay since mulch protests it from our hot sun.
Your suggestions are very much appreciated. :P

Jess
Greener Thumb

Just found this.
It may be nothing to do with pruning or soil or watering. It would certainly explain why you have never had flowers.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0600/wisteria.asp

Elizabeth C
Newly Registered

Many thanks. I've printed off the information and will do my best to follow up with it. :D

cajnsgrl
Newly Registered

My mother had a wisteria that never bloomed. We tried everything and nothing helped. Someone at a garden center said it may be a male??? Anyone ever heard of this. I've always been afraid to try another one.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”