ASpicyPepperKid

Whats the Best flower you have ever grown.

I personally have almost never grown flowers (Unless Pumpkin counts), but whats the coolest looking one you've grown?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I also almost never grew flowers, though last year I got some free canary yellow zinnias, and those turned out well. The bees loved them. Still, my favorite flowers are those on pepper plants. lol

imafan26
Mod

I always have flowers blooming. I like unusual flowers, even for me. My favorite flowers are fuschia, but I don't have any now. The second best are lavender. I like l. Goodwin Creek, Stoechas, and Provence, but the best bloomer is l. multifeda I grow orchids and there is almost always something in bloom. I also have roses. My favorite one right now is Francis Meilland. I have a couple of hibiscus Princess MIchiko and hibiscus mutabilis (confederate rose). When the dragon fruit is in bloom, the blossom is just awesome. All of them are my favorites.
Attachments
Francis Meilland   (My 9 ft tall hybrid tea rose)
Francis Meilland (My 9 ft tall hybrid tea rose)
miniature roses surrounded by alyssum
miniature roses surrounded by alyssum
Barbara Karst bougainvillea bonsai (in training)
Barbara Karst bougainvillea bonsai (in training)
Hibiscus Princess Michiko
Hibiscus Princess Michiko
Bc Maikai (blooms at Christmas time)
Bc Maikai (blooms at Christmas time)
Hibiscus mutabilis starts out white in the morning and turns pink in the afternoon. Deeper pink the next day
Hibiscus mutabilis starts out white in the morning and turns pink in the afternoon. Deeper pink the next day

applestar
Mod

I also grow many flowers although I grow them mostly for attracting butterflies and hummingbirds.

Some tree flowers, especially fruit trees, are also pollinator magnets.

I like to have a succession of blooming flowers, so it’s hard to pick favorites….

Right now, the earliest spring blooming bulbs have been blooming — Snow Drops, Crocuses, Jonquils, earliest hyacinths, and there will be more. Summer will bring reliable irises and lillies.

Trees — Witch Hazel has finished and first nectarine has opened….

Starting from seeds, sunflowers are always fun, zinnias, marigolds, salvia and balsam are easy.

Edible flowers are also great addition to your summer salads, omelets, and herbal teas.

One of the last to bloom during the growing season is also a source of precious spice — Fall blooming saffron crocus.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I like iris, especially. They are beautiful and most have a very pleasant fragrance.

So many people completely miss out on China asters. Many, probably think that they are the same as perennial asters. Well, no - plants in that family are different.

They bloom quite late. There are no flowers to entice customers while they are still in flats at a garden center. THAT is likely to be the reason so few gardens have them.

Enjoy China asters while they are blooming. Cut them and make a simple bouquet with an assortment of colors. Give it to someone. They aren't exotic or dramatic but that bouquet will bring delight. And, while they are in the garden, the bees love them.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

Every time around this time of the year, people will start to ask if the cherry blossoms are blooming. March is the peak bloom in the mainland, but here the peak bloom is in January. There will be some blooming now like the Okinawan cherry blossoms.
The northern plants you grow are beautiful, but I only see pictures of them. Tulips and daffodils can be forced, but they don't survive here in the ground.

The fruit trees are blooming here now as well. It is not welcomed by everyone. Mango pollen is a strong allergen. Citrus, avocado, and lychee are also in bloom.The gold tree will be blooming now.

I have more long term plants in the insectary garden. Angelonia, roses, lavender, alyssum, cuphea. I planted more glads. They have not bloomed yet. I have planted impatiens, cilantro, zinnia, marigold, basil, sunflowers, cosmos, for annual color. I have some daisies but I have a hard time getting them to bloom. The crown flowers and cabbages are attracting the monarchs and cabbage butterflies. Many of the tropical plants are actually pollinated by birds, beetles, midges, flies and moths. Those flowers have large colorful seeds, have flowers that look like a butterfly or have white flowers and are fragrant at night to attract their pollinator.

ASpicyPepperKid

imafan26 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:55 pm
I always have flowers blooming. I like unusual flowers, even for me. My favorite flowers are fuschia, but I don't have any now. The second best are lavender. I like l. Goodwin Creek, Stoechas, and Provence, but the best bloomer is l. multifeda I grow orchids and there is almost always something in bloom. I also have roses. My favorite one right now is Francis Meilland. I have a couple of hibiscus Princess MIchiko and hibiscus mutabilis (confederate rose). When the dragon fruit is in bloom, the blossom is just awesome. All of them are my favorites.
Wow those are pretty and I have some form of wild Lavender growing in my front yard

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I've tried many kinds of flowers from seed but they don't do. Marigolds however, are super easy to do and I enjoy doing those. I don't believe they're the bug repellers people claim they are but they make a nice spot of color. If you don't like the short ones you can grow the Crackerjack variety but they require staking as they can grow over 3 ft tall.

Probably the neatest thing I ever grew was a Castor Bean. Very tropical looking, and wasn't hard to care for.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”