HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

showing off my purple honeysuckle

This is my Purple Honeysuckle. I planted a starter sprout a long time ago. It is in bloom now and the bees love the flowers. It doesn't have purple flowers. I think the 'purple' part of the name must have to do with the leaves. It's heavy on the fence so I need to add some support. I had no idea that it would turn out so nice. It smells nice. It looks better in real life than in the pictures. The flowers are multicolored.
close up
close up
IMG_2377.JPG (50.39 KiB) Viewed 18947 times
view from inside fenced yard
view from inside fenced yard
IMG_2374.JPG (50.51 KiB) Viewed 18947 times
view from the street
view from the street
IMG_2373.JPG (58.76 KiB) Viewed 18947 times

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Is that a honeysuckle whose leaf bottoms look kind of grayish? Nice. I have a winter honeysuckle and the pollinators like it too. It just blooms quite early though.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I am not sure if it is the same as what you describe. Some of the leaves are purple. I think that the variety that I have is Japanese Purple Leaf Honeysuckle. It is so beautiful right now while in bloom. I saw a hummingbird drinking from it the other day.

KIOWA
Newly Registered

Beautiful.... now I'm on the hunt!!!!

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

It is currently in full bloom. It is so more beautiful in real life than how it looks in the pictures.

I haven’t seen any bees or hummingbirds hanging around it like in past years.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Bees are around over here in Texas but hummingbirds... hmm, have not noticed them yet. I saw and smelled a few wild honeysuckles in several parks a month ago.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I have seen hummingbirds around lately. A few bees, but not many.
I created a video yesterday of my honeysuckle, but could not find a way to load it to this sight.

My honeysuckle is bigger now and so gorgeous. I need to strengthen the fence that it sits on.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”