Lexy1700

Advice on planting a Lilie Garden

Hello, I have a question concerning lilies. I just had a baby boy back in February. I would like to plant a small lilie garden to mark his first summer. I have had great success with Oriental Lilies, particularly the Stargazer variety, so I'd like to incorporate them into the garden for sure. They bloom from mid July to mid August in my area. I'd like to find a few more species of lilies that will bloom around June, so I can have blooms throughout the whole summer. If anyone has any ideas about species of lilies that will complement my Stargazers, it would be very much appreciated! Thank you.

Garden Spider
Cool Member

I adore Lilium regale--very tall, white with a faint purple blush on the sides of the trumpets. Heavenly scented. For me, it's the quintesential lily.

I also like the Turk's Cap lilies--I have Lilium davidii (orangey-red), and "Citronella" (bright yellow).

I've been trying to grow tiger lilies (L. columbianum), which is a native lily here in the PNW. Maine might be too cold for it. You might check to see if Maine has any native lilies, and try to get some of those.

I love the idea of planting a special lily garden for your son--what a wonderful thing to do for him!

Lexy1700

Thank you very much for the advice! I am planning to incorporate lilium regale into my garden. It is so beautiful! Exactly what I was looking for! I have had a lot of luck with Tiger lilies here in Southern Maine. Good Luck with yours!

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

You probably are aware of this but Maine has recently become home to the exotic Lily Leaf Beetle [url]https://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/lilyleafbeetle.html[/url]
The degree of infestation varies by year and by location but sooner or later you are likely to be visited by hoards of these little guys. The beetles can be hand picked if you are diligent but if they sense a threat they will drop to either try to hide in the soil or lower on the plant. A bad infestation can completely defoliate plants within a couple days. The larvae rank high on the list of most disgusting pests. Neem has been been shown to be somewhat effective against them but please do not apply this or any other pesticide, whether labeled organic or not, when the plants are in bloom or have near to opening buds.

Lexy1700

Thank you for the heads up. I have heard of the Lily Leaf Beetle, but I had no idea how destructive they were! I have not had a problem with my lilies so far, but I will definitely keep a close eye out now. Thank you again!

minnesota_girl

Ever try tango lilies. I love them!! Go to link for more.

https://www.dutchbulbs.com/store/lilies/tangolilies

Lexy1700

Wow, Tango lillies are beautiful! I don't think I have ever heard of them before. I will definitely include a few in my garden. Thank you!

I also wanted to say thanks to MaineDesigner for the warning on the Lily Leaf Beetle! Shortly after your post I found a few of them in my garden. I hand picked them, and thankfully that took care of them. I havent seen one in over a month.

Thanks again!
Ash

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”