MotherNature

My Project :-)

Well here is my empty yard! I lived at my last house for about five years and had all kinds of things going on... moved in November and have a new canvas to work with. I have to admit it is a bit intimidating, so I'm just trying to figure out where to get started. I would like some flower beds as well as a small veggie/herb garden. Oh boy, have I got a lot of work to do.

[img]https://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm9/Fisheyheads/YARD.jpg[/img]

MotherNature

My first order of business is getting rid of the weed infestation. Ugh!

Also, located under the Willow Tree (at least I think that is what it is) some of the fence panels are broken (the tree is surrounded by a small block of fence between mine and my neigbor's yard -kind of strange) is a bit of an eyesore. I am planning on planting some Morning Glories and Moon Flower - my only concern is if they will receive enough sunshine.

imagardener2

In your diagram which way is north?

MotherNature

The top is west and the side with the Willow is North. My diagram is sideways I suppose. :?

BTW, the Sunflowers are actually some seeds that my four year old daughter planted in her sand bucket, so we planted them in the yard before they ran out of room in the bucket. :D

MotherNature

So last night I planted some Morning Glories on the fence under the tree and some Moon Flowers next to the house (about midway.)

One thing I forgot to mention is the west side of the yard is at the bottom of a slope that begins midway across the yard. I am thinking I could plant more elephant ears across the back since they require so much water (and I concerned about rain drainage back there.) Any suggestions of what else might work there?

Also, what do you all suggest as far as ridding a yard of weeds?

imagardener2

I think I might know what you have planted in your backyard!

I was at a garden center a minute ago and saw a plant that immediately made me think of you - [url=https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/natives/chilopsislinearis.htm]Desert Willow[/url] (Chilopsis linearis).

Could it be that that is the 'willow' you have growing in your backyard?

I know I'll now have [url=https://www.aridzonetrees.com/AZT%20Interactive%20Buttons/Tree%20Index/Cut%20sheets/Chilopsis/AZT%20Desert%20Amethyst.htm]one[/url] in my yard! :lol:

MotherNature

Gosh I hope so! That is pretty! The leaves look similar but I have not seen any flowers since we've moved in. Currently the only thing other than flowers are some brown (what I call) squiggles. LOL

I'm just gonna have to take a picture tonight (if it's not storming by the time we get home from work.)

The tree is currently about 20 feet high, so it's very possible.

JPlovesflowers

I moved from Virginia to Arkansas 2 years ago and was totally clueless about what to plant. I had a great base to work with at my old house and so I had added tons of flowering trees and shrubs over the years until my yard resembled a beautiful park. With such an empty slate here, I decided to hire a landscape contractor to design my yard for me. One of the things that I learned was to use evergreens to "anchor" the landscape. This decision made a huge difference in the design of my yard, as my favorite trees and shrubs are mostly deciduous. There were many things that I requested in my design just because they were my favorites and my landscape contractor put them in because they will grow here, but I wish I had spent more time looking at what grows in other peoples yards here because some of the things I requested just have not done as well as I would have liked. We have about 40 azalea plants, and I just found out that we have alkaline soil which they do not like. They are still alive (most of them anyway) but are very unhappy here. If I had taken time to research, I would have planted more for foliage than for flowers which is what I am noticing most other people have. I used to give the same advice to everyone that moved into my old neighborhood in Va, I wish I had listened to myself and taken that advice when we came here. I wish you great success, although I'm sure it is overwhelming right now, I'm sure you'll have a blast planting everything and watching it grow.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”