cuberuler
Newly Registered

Question on ammending the soil for my poppy garden

Hello,

First of all let me say it's great to be on these forums. Everyone here seems really helpful and friendly, and I look forward to becoming an active member of this community.

I am preparing a space out behind my house for my poppy garden which I am going to sow early this coming Spring. I live in southwest Colorado, so it snows and freezes here. The dirt in the rocky mountains is dry and red and full of iron, I assume. However, I am completely new to gardening and although from what I have read poppies can thrive in either acidic or basic soil environments, it would be great to have some expert advice on how I should exactly amend this soil. Righ now I may truck in many bags on Miracle Grow garden soil (I assume they will do great in that), but beyond adding maybe cow manure and perlite to the soil you see in the pictures, don't know how else I should amend it.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me out, and hopefully in Spring, I have the ground all ready and can sow the ground for some large beautiful poppies!

Thank you, have a great day gardening you guys. I certainly will once I know how I should treat this rocky dry soil! See pictures.
Cheers,
cube
20170918_181822.jpg
20170922_140140.jpg
20170918_181815.jpg

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Actually this is tougher question than it appears. Since there are many different kinds of poppy, it would be better to match the kind of poppy that would do best in your area.

Generically speaking, poppies should do well for you as many like it dry and a little on the loose or sandy soil side. They do not require extremely fertile soil but do need a certain amount of fertility to do well. Soil that has good drainage works best for most varieties. I would work in compost to the site down about eight to ten inches and not overdo the compost. Most poppies like full sun and can do with a dry soil condition. Only water when the soil gets dried out. Most do not need much extra fertilizer.

Look on-line for the different poppy varieties available that would match up with your soil and weather conditions. I would bet California Poppies would work pretty well.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”