Jamie4127
Newly Registered

Updating front yard help

Sorry its a another front yard garden help. We are looking to plant something around our tree and update our garden area in front of the house. In front of the house we have a sago palm on each end and I'm gonna remove the bushes in the middle.
Here are a couple pics.

I'd like to plant something around the tree. I'm noticing alot of bright lime green plants around trees and also caladiums. Just a couple ideas we are thinking of.

And for the front I would like to remove the bushes and plant some flowers and shrubs in between the 2 sago palms. My wife planted the red begonias a couple weeks ago.

Under the tree it's pretty much full shade and in front of the house it's part sun/part shade. If ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I can try to find pics of what I'm thinking about. Also we thought just to go to home depot or lowes and walk around and pick a few plants...

Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's some threads where I wrote about design principles for foundation plantings:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=71883&p=405881&hili ... ng#p405881

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=70931&p=400939&hili ... ng#p400939

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=67149&p=380314&hil ... ng#p380314

Your little shade garden under the tree is way too small -- all out of proportion to the tree.

Making it not a circle with the tree off center in the garden is better design:

It should slope down with some taller plants closer to the tree and shorter in front:

Your plantings won't be this dense at first. Space the plants out and mulch between them and in a couple years they will fill in a lot more.

Jamie4127
Newly Registered

Perfect! I will read your threads. Thanks!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”