Jasminemarie801
Newly Registered

Snapdragon HELP!!

So I just started my own flower garden for the first time this year and don't know anything! So I have a couple snapdragon plants and they didn't last well I'm assuming due to transport, so I deadheaded the spent blooms. Then it looked like new flowers were coming in so I let them grow...come to find out they were seed pods, so I cut off the stalk right above the leaves. But on the plants there are like 7 or 8 new sprouting coming up where it looks like it will bloom flowers (this is on the one plant) will these bloom into stalks? Do I have to take them off and plant them separately? Since I let the seed pods grow is it too late for them to flower? I live in Utah by the way, but I can't find any info on the internet about these new sproutings off the one plant? Help! Picture below
Attachments
IMG_7463.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Snapdragons are perennial only in a couple of zones and are grown as annuals elsewhere. If they have finished blooming and the spike was fully open, it is unlikely that it will bloom again. I have not tried to get snapdragons to rebloom, but I do grow them from seed. It is too hot for them here for them to survive for long.

The plant in your picture is not a snapdragon, it is a petunia. Petunias are also annuals but they can have a longer period of bloom. Some of the older varieties have to be deadheaded , but the newer wave varieties don't. They can grow through summer with enough water and care and if it doesn't get too hot. I grow them in hanging baskets because they are a nice trailing plant but mine does not live very long because it will get to hot here for them to last all summer unless I find a good spot for them in morning sun.
Annuals are good temporary fillers in the garden and some have a fairly long period of bloom if you keep cutting them back but they do eventually die.

Perennials live on from year to year but many only bloom for a short time every year and are either dormant or in leaf the rest of the time.

In my zone some annuals can actually be perennial here since I don't have frost to kill them and many of the "tender annuals" are usually the kind that are perennial for me because in other places it is frost that kills them.

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-grow-petunias-1402893

It would help if you update your profile with your zone and location. It will help to better give you tips on what you can grow.

Depending on where you live some plants will do better than others for a much longer time.

Jasminemarie801
Newly Registered

The plant I'm pointing to in my picture is a snapdragon. The petunias are planted next to it. I cut off the stalk to the snapdragon but the little blooms I'm pointing to in the picture are coming off of the one snapdragon plant. They are even sprouting the spikes that grow at the top of the plant. That's what I'm wondering if those will turn into stalks and bloom flowers?

imafan26
Mod

The whorls I see look like new leaves coming out. It may be branching from where you cut it. Someone else may know more about it. As I said snapdragons don't live very long for me, but they are supposed to be perennial in cooler zones.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

My snapdragons bloom in spring, take a break around now (mine are currently fading in the bloom department), and then bloom again when cooler weather hits in the fall. I never take the time to deadhead mine, but if you do, they should continue to bloom all season I believe. It looks to me like yours is going to bloom again. They do reseed for me in zone 7 so essentially can act as a perennial if you leave the seed heads at the end of the season.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Once you cut the stalk they do grow back with more branches. Don't try cutting the new branches off to replant them. They'll grow and flower where they are just fine. In the heat of the summer they may take a break but they do pick back up when the weather cools again in fall. They also survive light frosts and keep blooming until a deep freeze. You don't have to cut the seed pods off but cutting them off keeps them blooming longer. I let them produce seeds in the fall because I'm too far north for them to survive the winter.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”