zeeshan112
Cool Member

Peace lily white bract came off

Hi friends

Apparently a two year old kid found the white bract of my peace lily very appealing and took it off the plant completely :shock: Would it be very long until a new bract debelops? What can I do to help it grow back? Please help, it was one of my favourite plants in my garden :(

imafan26
Mod

Spathiphyllums do repeat bloom but not all the time.
I grow these as outdoor plants in the shade. When they bloom they put up multiple spaths, Removing the flowers as they fade helps to keep them blooming longer.

https://www.plantandflowerinfo.com/plant ... thiphyllum

zeeshan112
Cool Member

Thank you! :)

zeeshan112
Cool Member

So a new bract is finally developing! :) and the flower part of the old one (sorry I do not know what it is called!) seems to be deteriorating and getting brown at the top. Pic attached. Should I take it completely off the plant? If yes then where should the cut be made?
Attachments
IMG-20170516-WA0005.jpg

imafan26
Mod

It is called a spathe. Cut it off at the base of the stem. Spathiphyllums make good house plants because they can tolerate low light. They do like humidity and are not frost tolerant. Your plant looks a little yellow from being in high light. When I grow them outside, I keep them under double 47% shade cloth which approximates 70% shade.

Sadly all of my orchid benches need work. I have lost most of my old anthuriums and I think I have two tulip type left. I have lost a lot of plants since I had to go back to work and don't have as much time to take care of them.

zeeshan112
Cool Member

Sad to know that you lost your plants :(
But thanks so much for all the help ..much appreciated !

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”