AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Can I Plant Allium Bulbs in the Spring?

Today I went to the grocery store to get some other varieties of bulbs to plant (I have a bunch of Dahlia Bulbs), and I saw Purple Sensation Allium bulbs that I couldn't resist buying. I assumed that since the bulbs just started selling, that they all should be planted in the spring. But when I got home and read the box, I realized that they have to be planted in the fall.
Any suggestion?

I heard some people put the bulbs in their fridge for a while instead of in the ground during the winter. What do you think?

Looking forward to your advice!! :)

Sea Salt37
Newly Registered

Sometimes store have bulbs left over from the previous season and just keep selling, hoping they'll find a home.

If the bulbs are firm, not shriveled or molded, go ahead and plant. They'll probably survive and maybe even bloom this season, although probably later than usual. If no blooms this round, certainly by next spring.

As for keeping bulbs in the fridge, it's generally not a good idea. In the middle of this page there's some helpful info about storing bulbs: https://www.leafari.com/faqs.html

Enjoy your alliums!

SS37

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Thank you so much for the advice, SeaSalt37! I suppose I will plant them tomorrow and see how it goes from there :)
...the bulbs are in very good condition, so hopefully I'll see some blooms this year, but if not, maybe next year!

Deborah58
Newly Registered

I also found some yesterday at the store .. I am planting them today and will hope for the best as I've always wanted them in my garden and wasn't passing them up.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Hello everybody! I planted them in a pot with moist soil with a bag on top in the fridge. It has been 4 weeks now and they have shoots now! Almost poking throught the soil. Gonna transplant them next week :) excited!!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”