zeeshan112
Cool Member

Poinsettia broken

Hello guys

My potted poinsettia toppled due to strong winds last night and now two of the stems are broken. The branch has not come off the plant completely but it is broken. I was wondering what should I do to make the plant stand upright again, or may be I would just cut the stems and try to root them and grow a new plant. Also, do Poinsettias root in water? Please advise me.

imafan26
Mod

I would make a clean cut. Poinsettias do root from cuttings but I usually do that in April. You can try. Poinsettia should root in perlite or sand after you let the cut end dry. I have not tried rooting them in water.

applestar
Mod

If it toppled, I'm wondering if it might not be already pot-bound or overgrown for the pot?

Also, they tend to lose lower leaves and get leggy with just stems and new leaves on the very tips. They look better with good chopping a couple of times -- first one before spring flush of growth.

imafan26
Mod

They should be pruned twice a year. I was taught the months with the A's April and August to make it easier to remember. I used to have a poinsettia in the yard. It was over 8 ft tall and it bloomed in the Spring.

zeeshan112
Cool Member

Thanks guys for your replies :)

applestar, the pot was placed on an uneven surface and the base of the pot had very little contact with the ground and so it fell due to the strong wind. It is not overgrown for the pot size, it is relatively a small plant now. I will place it at a more secured place.

imafan26, I am sure your 8 feet poinsettia would really be a wonderful sight! :)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”