Eldritch
Newly Registered

Doctor Seuss looking plants?

Hello, I'm kind of new to gardening forums, so bare with me eh? My mother is going in for surgery April, she loves Doctor Seuss, and was hoping to find some plants I could use to make a Doctor Seuss looking garden section. But I can't find any plants on websites, they usually use the same lists, so I never find anything new. Thought I'd ask for some help.

applestar
Mod

Bit more details please -- indoor container houseplants? Outdoor garden plants? What is the weather like in ...April?... when you intend to plant or give or show her?

imafan26
Mod

Most of the Dr. Seuss drawings don't really represent any real plant since it is mostly a simply drawn imaginary plant.

What would make it a dr Seuss garden would be if you could add elements of the Dr. Seuss characters. Adding a scupture would probably not fit most people's budget but you might be able to work in a cat in the hat snow globe in a mini garden and there are a lot of Dr. Seuss character Christmas ornaments which might be able to be made into a mobile or hung on a tree in the garden. The closest flowers would be radial flowers like asters, cosmos, and sunflowers. The Dr Seuss memorial garden might be a good place to take your mom when she's better.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Look over topiary. Most often I see Alberta spruce and cedar pruned into tufts. Thats about as close as I think you can shop for.

If you need a more asymetrical tree and it will be on you to build your imagining.

applestar
Mod

OK, no reply so it's impossible to tell if I'm making suitable suggestions -but- if you are looking at spring blooming bulbs, then imperial bulbs is one I can think of, as well as giant alliums, though depending on where you live, this is the wrong season to plant them or grow them unless you use forcing techniques.

There are couple of goofy looking house plants too -- elephant foot, ponytail palm, and sea onion are three that immediately spring to mind.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”