Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Where are the morning glory seeds?

I grew some morning glory from packaged seed this past summer and really loved them. I know a lot of people consider them invasive, but that's not a problem around here, since stuff only grows if you intentionally water it.

It bloomed profusely though I planted it a little late. My question is, where are the seeds? I expected to save the seeds to plant again next year, but could not find a single seed. I cut off the dead vines and shook them but no seeds. There didn't seem to be any seed pods underneath the spent blossoms. Is this normal? This was the traditional blue morning glory flower. (traditional to me!) :)

applestar
Mod

Were there no brown papery balls with calyces on the vines? They do split open so you may have missed them. Each ball would have contained orange-segment shaped black or tan colored seeds (I think 4 per pod). If the area under where the vines grew are relatively clear (dirt) and dry, you may still find them. Or you could keep and eye on the area in spring after it warms up for volunteers.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

After the flower is spent, it should leave behind a seed pod like this:

which has the seeds in it:

Morning glories are famous for self - seeding, so you may have volunteers come back, even though you didn't save any seed.

Some hybrids are sterile, don't produce seeds. If that is the case, then you won't get any volunteers either. :(

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Thanks for the info and great pictures. I didn't see any seed pouches like that, don't know why. I looked on the ground under the plant, didn't see anything. I will have to go look at the original package to see exactly what the variety was. I'm gonna go out too and check the vine again. I tossed it in the pathway between my vegetable beds.

I guess it could be there were no seeds produced as you say. Thx. :)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”