Delsgarden
Newly Registered

Propagating Coleus from its leaves

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Question:
I know Coleus plants can be easily grown from stem cuttings and the larger bottom leaves are typically trimmed off.

I'd like to know can those trimmed leaves take root in water or in soil - like African violet leaves - to produce new plants?

So far I see these leaves do absorb plenty of water from the shallow dish I've placed them in but don't know if I should continue this through out the cold season (indoors of course). I have TONS of them! Advice please.

Also, is there a special way to care for my large potted Coleus & Croton plant once I bring them in for the winter; I live in North East Ohio which is Zone 4
(I believe). Thanks in advance for advice.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know about the leaves sprouting, not something I have heard about or tried.

Coleus does overwinter indoors easily. It just needs a good sunny window and to be kept watered and misted. I have had three or four year old coleus plants. It tends to lose its color indoors, but get it back once it is back outside.

applestar
Mod

I honestly don't know if the leaves can grow roots or not. *Maybe* if you used rooting hormone to artificially stimulate it?

But I think they might have a better chance of rooting if the leaves had been carefully PULLED off or even shaved off with a sharp knife so that the leaf stem node and some of the main stem's outer 'skin' cells are attached.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Croton indoors over the winter, keep it away from drafts, don't water it too much, give it plenty of artificial light. I kept mine on a shelf in the bathroom until it got too big. I don't know where it's going to stay this winter.

Mr_bobo_

@Delsgarden You can't propagate Coleus ( Solenostemon) from leaves. I never hear something like that.
You can really really easy grow them from cuttings... put them in after and in 10 days you will get roots already.
I have like 7-8 different kind of... ;) I planing to make Coleus flower bed next year. :)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”