Galcon

How to insert this screen?

Hi, I am trying to screen the extractor fan of the downstairs restaurant from my rooftop patio. I purchased some bamboo but unsure as to how to install it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

G
Attachments
20160906_161731.jpg
20160906_161724.jpg

applestar
Mod

Are you talking about covering the top because thats what I would want to do if it won't interfere with the ventilation.

You didn't indicate dimensions, but in the US, you can get flat sheets of heavy gauge welded wire concrete reinforcing mesh (approx 4 inch square opening) for about $7 at home construction stores. Eye-balling it, it seems about the right size to lay across the windowsill and the low wall surrounding the opening as support. I would lay and secure (wire or ziptie) the bamboo screening on top of that for decorative effect.

If necessary, I haven't tried to cut the mesh but people have told me it can be done with heavy wire or bolt cutters, or --ummm-- hacksaw? Yes I think that's what it's called -- saw for cutting metal.

Though available, in this instance you wouldn't want to get the rolled mesh because it would be difficult to flatten.

Galcon

Hi Applestar, ideally covering it would be fantastic but would that be risky in terms of health and safety (ie overheating)? I would do that today if possible. The smoke rises from it and comes right in our windows

applestar
Mod

Well, thats why it would need to be open mesh to allow the vented air from the restaurant to escape and also to NOT STIFLE THE AIRFLOW. I'm not entirely sure if the bamboo screen is gappy enough. But you might be able to put it over one side of the opening, for example? It might be best to confer with the restaurant owner so what you do will stay within code.

I could picture putting a curved something to direct the exhaust away from your window. Right now, I'm thinking about clear cellar window well cover.... I'll see if I can find a photo.

...here we go...
Something like this. I'm envisioning placing it facing out and away from your window-- do you see what I mean?

Galcon

Thanks Applestar, the sight and smell of it are not pleasant!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”