Galcon

Paint colours for this garden wall?

Hi, can anyone please suggest a colour(s) for the wall to the left of the patio? It has never been painted and I would like to brighten it up but with colours suitable to the rest of the patio.

Thanks

G
Attachments
20160903_185421.jpg

applestar
Mod

I had this idea --

I was thinking if you are not going over the wall to the tar-papered side, you could put long windowboxes all along the top with cascading flowers and vines. If you use the top of the wall for putting things down on, you might place some slate or stone like capstones.

For the wall, would you consider a mural? I was thinking either faux stone wall, or -- a little more elaborate -- maybe green and white stripes to mimic a picket fence -- if picket fence, I was thinking if you were to affix tops of real wooden pickets on the window boxes to extend from the painted wall to the painted wood, that would look really neat and enhance the realism.

If you have the budget, you could paint the wall grass-green and put an actual or faux white picket fence (lumber cut and assembled to look like picket fence) against the wall....

The windowboxes could be made to look like they were hanging from the top rail of the fence on the other side. Adding a few flowers and things peeking from between and climbing the fence, a few butterflies and snails on the fence, and grass like at the bottom would add to the effect, maybe?

The painted objects don't have to be realistic, this could be more like folk-art or modern graffiti.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

applestar, I'm not quite getting the idea of painting a real stone wall as a faux stone wall?

But I love the idea of the white pickets! :)

I think I might just do the wall as a nice light sky blue with or without pickets.

imafan26
Mod

I like apples idea of hanging planters on the wall.
I like trompe-loeil paintings, and if you have an artist friend it could be something that fools the eye like a painted door or an actual door that you mount on the wall to make it appear that there is something beyond the garden.

I like the idea of hanging plants trailing down the wall but also the illusion of a door or garden beyond the wall.

The easiest would be to get a large mirror and frame. You can put a frame around the mirror so it appears as a door to another garden. The mirror will reflect your existing space and make it look larger. Having a small reflecting pool in front of the mirror of roughly the same size will also make it seem larger.

Alternatively or if there is space you could also make a window or two on the wall with mirrors for panes with shutters and window box.
I would go for a darker color for the wall to make it recede. Darker shades blue, purple, gray, and green will make the wall recede in the distance to the eye. You would use warm colors up front like bright colored pots and plants (yellow, red, orange) in front to draw the eye forward.

https://www.smallhomelove.com/8-ways-to- ... -look-big/

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

The stone wall on the back edge or the low concrete wall? The last thing I would do is paint over that lovely stone wall.

If you are talking about the low concrete wall, I would do something in earth tones like a light brown or tan.

But definitely set some large planters on the top. There might be a way to fasten some sort of trellis or arbor there so you can grow vines up them. The only problem would be that a trellis would enclose your area more than it already is.

Galcon

Thank you for all the replies :-) Yes I can confirm that it is the small wall on the left which I am painting! I love those ideas, I will upload my results.

Thanks again :-)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”