HipsterPunchy
Newly Registered

African Violet help!!!

So I was given an African Violet today. It was left in a plastic bag in the car while I ran a few errands and drove home. It was a total time of 3 hours. Now the leaves and flowers seem to be wet and limp. Is this able to be restored or did that time in the bag in the sun ruin the plant for good?

Below is a picture of the plant right now...

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

In the car, in the sun? Looks like it's cooked. You could wait a couple weeks to see if it's really dead or just the top that died. I would go ahead and pinch off the flowers.

When I buy plants that will set in the car for a while I put them in the trunk. It's dark and just a bit cooler than the passenger compartment of the car.

HipsterPunchy
Newly Registered

ButterflyLady29 wrote:In the car, in the sun? Looks like it's cooked. You could wait a couple weeks to see if it's really dead or just the top that died. I would go ahead and pinch off the flowers.

When I buy plants that will set in the car for a while I put them in the trunk. It's dark and just a bit cooler than the passenger compartment of the car.
Thank you!

Any signs I should look for to see if it is recovering or if it is a lost cause? Should we remove all the leaves to let it start fresh? I basically removed the flowers in the center and a leaf or two that was already mostly severed.

applestar
Mod

Did you toss the leaves? I would have clipped the leaves to healthy tissue and tried to root them. Very easy to propagate from leaves with stems -- even stub of a stem. Also possible to grow baby plants from just the leaf pads as long as there are healthy veins.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

If the leaves are green let them stay. If they turn brown then cut them off.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”