mcaquatic

Re: Stopping red clover in my ice plants

hi thank you for the input the. the problem is that the sorrel growths through the ice plants not so much between. SO its so interwoven with the plant and there is already so much of the sorrel that would take hours of miserable work to try to get it out.

I guess I could try the olive oil but to do that I would have to get the ice plant as well.

The ice plants the sorrel did not kill seems to be handling the winter ok but the new and old sorrel growth is so tangled in it.

pretty much of all the sorrel starts in the ice plants and works it way out

if I am going to spend hours working on it I figure its just better to rip the areas up and start them off right

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I agree. It was suggested earlier in this thread that you dig out the ice plants, set them aside then hoe/till/turn/weed out the area, do the best you can to get rid of all the weeds, then replant. For noxious weeds that spread from the roots/ by runners and if you are dealing with a relatively small area, it has been suggested that you just dig out all the soil, maybe a foot deep or however much is possible. Put all the soil through a sifter/ screen. That sorts out all the pieces of root, etc and should give you soil that is very clean and loosened up. Then put the soil back and replant the ice plants (making SURE you don't put any pieces of weed root back in with them -- maybe soak the ice plants in a bucket of water while you are doing the other stuff, to clean the weed pieces off them).

mcaquatic

rainbowgardener wrote:I agree. It was suggested earlier in this thread that you dig out the ice plants, set them aside then hoe/till/turn/weed out the area, do the best you can to get rid of all the weeds, then replant. For noxious weeds that spread from the roots/ by runners and if you are dealing with a relatively small area, it has been suggested that you just dig out all the soil, maybe a foot deep or however much is possible. Put all the soil through a sifter/ screen. That sorts out all the pieces of root, etc and should give you soil that is very clean and loosened up. Then put the soil back and replant the ice plants (making SURE you don't put any pieces of weed root back in with them -- maybe soak the ice plants in a bucket of water while you are doing the other stuff, to clean the weed pieces off them).

thank you. its two big areas ( maybe 20 ft x 3 ft). if I am digging them up any how wouldn't it be worth changing the soil to something the sorrel would not readily survive in? If I am planting right back into the soil can't the plant easily be propagated again by seeds blowing in?
Does anyone know if changing to sand/gravel and using alkalinity would this stop the sorrel?

Also it is not possible to dig out the plant without the sorrel. It is all intertwined. So my plan was to break it up into sections and plant the sections.

If I attempt brushing oil onto the leaves. Doing this I will definitely get some onto the plant but can try to limit it. How does the oil kill the plant? How damaging will it be to the ice plant?

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”