BartJY

Bunnies ate my Primrose

Hi Folks,

My Primrose has been chomped by the Bunnies. Will they recover or have the bunnies killed them?

Thanks
Bart

KeyWee

If they are perennial primroses, they will come back from the root, although they may not bloom again this year. I have rabbit problems too, and keep a supply of those rubber toy snakes ($1.00 in the Walmart toy department) on hand. Although I sometimes startle myself with them, they are great to put down around bunny-attractive plants.

BartJY

And they actually work? How big of a toy snake are we talking about?

Thanks
Bart

KeyWee

They have worked well for me. They are small rubber snakes, about 12" long and s-shaped. I like to get the neon green or orange ones so I can find them later, and so they look less real (to me). I put them out as soon as I discover a plant in my landscape that the rabbits are going after. They tend to only bother young and tender plants and then leave them alone once they're established. So if you can get your plants past the tender stage, you are usually pretty safe. Good luck, I have constant war with critters since we are surrounded by woods, and I often wonder WHY they can't find something to eat out there!!

applestar
Mod

OOOHHH that's interesting about the rubber snakes. Maybe I should get more of them. I only have one toy one and have been trying to fake out the birds with pieces of garden hose in the berries. Sometimes works, sometimes not.

I have heard that you need to move them around. If I just moved one near ripening berries, I might find them fully ripe in the morning still unmolested. If I haven't moved them, I have seen birds PERCHED on the garden hose. :evil:

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”