Sarah680
Newly Registered

Need ideas for something to plant behind my peonies! :)

Hi everyone,

I live in zone 3, and have a flower garden that I'm having a real hard time with. I've got 6 peony plants that line the front part of the garden (the back of the garden butts up against my house), and those are thriving. However, three years ago, I planted some Endless Summer Hydrangeas behind the peonies, and though they have come back every year, they are *very* small in stature (no more than a foot in height), and frankly, aren't visible due to the peonies in front of them. I've decided it would be in their best interest to move them elsewhere (where they can get more sun), and as such, I'm looking for ideas on what might be planted behind these peonies.. I've been searching online for hours, and still don't have any ideas as to what direction to go in.
Things to note:
- the plant will need to be ok in partial (to full) shade
- looking for something that will get some height, so as to be visible behind the peonies (which are currently about 3 feet tall), so they would need to be able to get to 4 feet tall at minimum
- prefer something on the low-maintenance side if possible
- as mentioned above, would need something hardy to zone 3

If anyone has *any* ideas, I'd be grateful for the advice!!

Thanks! :)
Sarah

applestar
Mod

3 feet -- Are these tree peonies or herbaceous peonies? I ask because I'm not familiar with tree peonies.

If herbaceous -- I can't see hydrangeas liking same conditions as peonies and vise versa. So if peonies are flourishing, definitely hydrangeas would be happier elsewhere. In any case, in Zone 3, big leafs like endless summer must be extremely iffy. They are borderline here in Zone 6 with wholesale die offs happening after abnormally severe winter. They would certainly have to re-grow from roots every time. You might have better success with more cold hardy varieties or some of the viburnums.

How much room do you have between the peonies and the house wall and which way does this space face?

One idea would be to plant some spring bulbs that would come up earlier, then after finishing, the peonies would hide their browning foliage -- but wow I'm realizing I'm not sure if all this would take place -- Zone 3... When are your last and first average frost dates?

I'll have better idea of what to suggest for taller than peony plants in shade once I have a better idea of the location involved.

Sarah680
Newly Registered

Hi! Thank you for your help!

They're herbaceous peonies.. this is their 4th summer.

The Endless Summer Hydrangeas are said to be hardy to zone 3 (at least according to the tag that was on them when I bought them), but given the climate here, I'm thinking they would likely do better in full sun rather than partial shade. We get our first frost typically by mid-October, and final frost usually by mid-May (with snow and cold in between the two). I've been covering the hydrangeas with the fallen leaves in the fall from trees on our property to offer them some protection over winter, although you're correct in that they do have a very short growing season compared to those in warmer climates.

There's about 2.5 to 3 feet between the peonies and the wall of the house, and it faces North. It gets full sun in the morning starting around 9 am, and is covered with shade by 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

I'm fairly new to gardening (have only been doing it for about 4 years), so I've still got lots to learn I'm afraid.. thanks again for your help! :)

Peter1142
Green Thumb

I have artichokes growing behind my peonies. That's a lot of work though. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's some suggestions for tall and hardy shade perennials. Look them up and see what you think:

Monkshood
Bugbane/ fairy candles/ cimicifuga
Black snakeroot
Goat's beard
Joe Pye weed
Filipendula/ queen of the prairie or queen of the meadow
Leopard plant
Tall meadow rue

These are native plants so hardy and easy care once established, but you might have to get them from a native plant nursery or catalog

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

What about ostrich ferns?

applestar
Mod

I've been thinking about this and it's surprising that the peonies are doing well with the limited sun and facing north. Don't they flop over pretty badly when in bloom? ...Well you have to support them anyway, but I would think they would stretch out towards the light. Is it because of the zone3/extreme northern location? You must get very long daylight hours in the summer.

2.5-3 feet actually isn't a lot of room. If they had been thriving, it wouldn't have been enough room for the hydrangea.

Sorry but I wouldn't recommend ostrich fern -- they would gobble up the peony.

...when do the peonies bloom? Both Goat's Beard and Black Cohosh that Rainbowgardener mentioned would definitely manage well in the area, but/and they bloom at different times.

... Was also thinking maybe Cardinal flower and Great Blue Lobelia, though they prefer somewhat wetter conditions so they won't grow as tall as they could.

Is the house wall blank or are there windows? At what height? Perhaps a vine on a trellis like Sweet Autumn Clematis or a well-behaved type of ivy....

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”