Stacym124
Newly Registered

Landscaping a Blank Slate

My family and I are about to move to Minnesota and we're renting the house I've attached. See for yourself- it's pretty naked. It needs some character! That being said, I need to remind y'all that we're the renters, not the owners, so we're not looking to spend big bucks- just enough to cozy it up! Specifically, I'm looking for Mailbox ideas and maybe some shrubs/bushes to plant near the house. I'll be transplanting a few hostas that I currently have in my Kentucky yard. I need some really good ideas! Or some good resources/apps to use for decorating a blank slate ...on a budget!
Attachments
image.jpeg

KeyWee

Wow, KY to MN ~ I did the same thing 12 years ago, only backwards ~ WI to KY. You will find that hostas will do better in the cooler zone than they do here in KY, so that's a good thing ~ although it doesn't look like your new yard has a lot of shade.
When we moved, I bought a cheap plastic kiddie pool at a yard sale and filled it with perennials, and then brought them with me. I had a blank slate too. Take a stroll around your new neighborhood and look for other homes where it's obvious there's a gardener in residence. Introduce yourself and ask for starts ~ most gardeners are thrilled to pieces to share ~ it's how I got 75% of my flowers, shrubs and trees. Shop the "dead" rack at big box stores, and buy drastically marked down plants ~ they will be fine with a little TLC. Tip ~ if you tell the garden center manager you will buy four or more of a certain plant, they may mark the price down even further.
Minnesota winters are long ~ you may want something evergreen for in front of the house.
Make sure you post some after pictures once you have done some planting.

Stacym124
Newly Registered

That's so funny! When we moved to Kentucky, we moved from WI! We move a lot ;) Thank you for your ideas!!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”