Cider
Newly Registered

Cosmos seedlings problem (drowned roots?)

I have two trays of Cosmos Bipinnatus "Bright Lights" which I've grown from seed, all of the seedlings have one set of main leaves. I also have six other trays of Cosmos, namely Dwarf Mix and Fizzy Rose Picotee. I've never grown these from seed before.

Yesterday they accidentally got a good soaking in the rain (I'm hardening them off) due to a gutter developing a leak and basically drowning them by filling their cells and the gravel trays that they are in with water. On bringing them inside late yesterday (after draining off the excess water from the gravel trays!) one of the Bright Lights trays was placed in a bright room, the other back in its usual west facing window. I didn't place them back outside today partly because of the lousy weather here (they were wet enough!) and I then managed to forget to do so when it eventually stopped drizzling.

I've only just noticed that the seedlings in the tray placed back in the window have all of the main leaves curling quite a lot, while the other tray (not in a window) is as it usually is with the usual, natural slight bend in the main leaves.

I think that the window is a red herring though, the compost in the cells for the tray with the problem is still far, far too wet. This would, I assume, explain the leaf curl.

I've now removed all of the cells from the gravel trays and placed them outside (including the seedlings of the other Cosmos types which look okay but still have compost which, while not as wet as the affected seedlings, is still definitely TOO wet).

Is that all that I can do?

Hopefully a combination of wind overnight and sun (I hope!) and light wind tomorrow will dry out the compost, but should the badly affected seedlings recover ? Any thoughts please?

Thanks

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Re: Cosmos seedlings problem (drowned roots?)

Can you post some pictures?
Lindsay
Upstate, SC
USDA Zone 7b/ Sunset Zone 31

Cider
Newly Registered

Sure, here's some with the curled leaves problem:

https://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/ ... 99/Bad.jpg

and some from the other tray which are just fine:

https://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/ ... 9/Good.jpg

Up until yesterday's deluge what are now the "bad" ones looked just the same as the good ones.

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Wow! I'm just wondering if all that rain knocked the ph off, or washed out all the nutrients from the seed mix.
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

Cider
Newly Registered

An update - after being outside overnight they have recovered, the leaves have uncurled and they look fine. :)

I would still love to know what happened - the only difference between the affected tray and the unaffected one is that the affected one was put into a west facing window for about 24 hours (although due to the weather it barely got any sun that day).

Most puzzling.

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Maybe it was just dryer in your house, or they were just reacting to less sun. Idk, but it it was very strange!
Lindsay
Upstate, SC

Cider
Newly Registered

Maybe we'll never know! :)

KeyWee

Here's why (I think) ~ you will probably have a hard time killing Bright Lights. They are very durable and will self seed very easily (maybe TOO easily) in the garden for next year. I don't think too much "anything" will kill them ~ they don't go down without a fight :D

Cider
Newly Registered

They'll need to be hardy with my gardening "skills". ;)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”