Esos
Newly Registered

Daffodils in the snow, help

:cry:

Hello, I'm really new to gardening and also living in the Northeast. This is only my second winter in New England and my first planting bulbs. I planted 100 daffodils and 50 tulips and as of day before yesterday this is what they looked like (see attachment) These are half of the daffodils (ice follies) and the tulips. They looked like they were just about to flower. Unfortunately we got about 6 inches of snow since then and the temp last night dipped below 28 degrees for about 12 hours. Before the snow and dip in temp I made sure to give them a good watering and I covered the flowers as much as I could by draping sheets down across stakes and staking them into the ground but now it looks like the snow has piled up on top of the sheets and might be crushing the plants. Is there any chance that I could be doing more harm then good with this method? Any advice for a newbie gardener? I was really hoping to see these puppies bloom! Please share any and all suggestions, I can use all the help I can get!
Attachments
Daffodils and Tulips.JPG

KeyWee

I wouldn't worry so much ~ they will be fine. Our daffodils have been rained, snowed and iced on and come through fine. This is the time of year that they normally sprout and bloom so they are used to this weather. The snow acted as an insulator. You could probably refrain from watering any more as the snow should be enough. The edges of the leaves may take a bit of a nip from the low temps, but that shouldn't stop them from blooming.
Welcome to the forum!

applestar
Mod

Yep spring bulbs will go through a lot and especially while they are still sheathed in green, they are well protected.

I would pick up the sheet and take it off as soon as you can get it out of the snow because wet sheet will be heavy and while not necessarily crushing, will keep them from growing back up straight.

Some of the daffodils will end up laying down anyway. I sometimes make them stand up and keep from falling over with inexpensive short wire border fencing -- but you have to be careful with those because you might stab the bulbs.

Esos
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reassurement KeyWee and Applestar! That's also good to know about them laying down, I'll check out short wire border fencing. It was sunny today so I got the sheets off as soon as I got home from work and they seem to be loving it so far, I'll post pics tonight when the light is better

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”