cass2828

How to care for orchids?

Hi guys, I am really facinated by orchids and really want to grow them BUT I don't know nothing about them Please somebody guide me on what is orchid, how to care for them,what substrate,watering,fertilizing etc

imafan26
Mod

The American Orchid Society has culture sheets that may be of help to you.

https://www.aos.org/Default.aspx?id=75

If you are growing orchids indoors the best ones to get are paphiopedalum and phalaenopsis since they like the same temperatures that people like and only need indirect light.

There are orchids native to India which would probably be the best. South Indian jewel orchid is a terrestrail orchid with creeping rhyzomes and like moist shady spots. Supposedly it grow like a weed, however I managed to kill it.

Orchids that can be grown outdoors in almost full sun with afternoon shade would be the bamboo orchid, Miss joaquin vanda (terete vanda), Vanda Princess Mikasa-- they can be attached to trees or stuck on a fence, water daily, fertilize weekly with water soluble fertilizer or manure tea.

Encylia and oncidiums will do well too. Encyclias have bulbs so they don't like to be watered as often. You may have to bring it inside during monsoon.

Oncidiums will also do well. They can tolerate almost full sun and I plant mine in rocks (wash them first) in terra cotta pots because they breathe. They are more tolerant of irregular watering. 2-3 times a week. It depends on how much heat and wind. In the hot season you can water every day.

Fertilize once a week with manure tea and if you can get slow release fertilizer add about a teaspoon to a pot every 6 months.
Vandas bloom late winter and early spring, oncidiums bloom mostly in the spring and summer. Phalaenopsis and Paphs bloom from Feb- June. Catleyas require 50% shade. I grow mine in baskets hung under a plumeria tree. The tree canopy must allow light to come through but not full sun. Dappled shade is best. I water the baskets daily so I use rocks. Orchid bark will hold moisture longer but you will need to repot every two years as it breaks down and the roots will rot.

I am bad about repotting so I like minimal media and media that does not breakdown fast like rocks and hapuu and no media. I tie vandas to a wooden basket and hang them. the roots will grown through the basket down to the ground. catleya can be packed into a basket with just enough styrofoam or fir bark to wedge it in place. Baskets have to be watered daily. You can put chicken manure or slow release fertilizer in nylon stockings or cheesecloth or any porous material, what you are making is a tea bag. Tie the bag to the orchid so that every time you water it get a little fertilizer. Replace the bags every three months or so.

Most orchids bloom at least once a year, some are repeat bloomers. If you choose the right orchids you can have something in bloom all year round, however you may want to build a shade house with a polycarbon roof to control the rain. It provides shade and water control. The sides of the house is usually covered with 50% shade cloth. It lets the air in but keeps direct light out.

I need to take better care of my orchids, but even with my neglect I still almost always have something in bloom almost year round.

Right now dendrobium anosmum is blooming. The blooms will last about two weeks
I still have dendrobiums , and paph from December that is still in bloom.
Princess Mikasa and Mokara Botu gold - vandacious orchids bloomed in January and February.
Epis have been blooming almost continuously for months
oncidium papillio- the butterfly orchid only puts out one bloom but will bloom continuously on the same spike.
Den bracteosum is a species orchid that stays in bloom for months.
Oncidium sphacelatum aka the 'popcorn' orchid because the flowers look like popped corn is one of the easiest orchids to grow. It puts out spikes in january but takes months for it to bloom. One of mine are starting to bloom now. Unusual since they usually bloom in May. It might be the other oncidium that I cannot remember the name of now, that looks like popcorn but bloom more often.

I have not been taking very good care of my collection. I had at last count about 300 orchids. Yeah, they grow on you that is why most people say whatever size of shade house you are planning it won't be enough. I have a couple of orchids that can get big and I keep them from getting too big to pick up. For the most part, I try to get smaller orchids that don't take up that much space. I really need to clean out my benches, divide and feed my plants. But, it is on a way too long to do list.

There are orchid societies all over the world. The orchid society of India would be a good place to start to learn more about orchids and how to grow them.
https://www.orchidsocietyindia.org/

cass2828

thnx... imfan that helped a lot...;D

imafan26
Mod

You are welcome. It is never too early to get interested in a hobby that can last a lifetime. The youngest member of my orchid club was 9 when she started, the oldest was 91.

cass2828

orchid club????... by the way what can use as substrates,, how often should I water it

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”