imafan26
Mod

Wild flowers

I just planted a wildflower mix with calendula, delphineum, zinna, bachelor's buttons, salvia and a few others I can't remember. I know some of these won't do that well because they need to be in a colder climate. It has been a few years since I planted a flower garden so I thought I'd do one this year. I do have nasturtiums that have reseeded and glads that have naturalized so I have those coming up more or less regularly. I am also renovating the front border and the roses. I took out the cuphea and I am going to plant alyssum there instead. The bees love it. I planted geraniums on the other end because it is drier and they don't need a lot of water, but they do try to take over. I may have to rethink that.

I do have agapanthus and they provide flowers in early summer and pretty much are on their own. The rest of the time they just provide green and ground cover.

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

I am going to sow some wildflower seed this spring. It'll be interesting to see what gets established. I have a mix as well as some nasturtium seeds I saved from last year. I also picked up some snapdragon seeds. I had one growing in our planter box last year, which then self seeded to the ground nearby. I let that grow, then I saw one pop up on an unirrigated clay hillside during the summer. It never got very big, but it stayed green and had some flowers. I was impressed...so as long as the deer don't get 'em, they should make a great wildflower.

imafan26
Mod

Nasturtiums have already established in my yard they come up again by themselves every year, but I do have to pull the ones that are growing where I don't want them.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”