Merlinxl
Newly Registered

Succession of bloom - spacing

If tulips should be planted 4-6" apart and lilies 6-12" apart would it be ok to plant tulips 6" apart and lilies between them? This means that the lilies and tulips would be only 3" from each other. Thanks.

imafan26
Mod

Put all the bulbs at least 6 inches apart. 3" won't be enough rooms for the bulbs to grow very large. Blooms are dependent on bulb size. Especially if these are permanent plantings. Each bulb cluster will continue to expand.
You should put your zone and location in your profile. It makes it easier to answer.

In my zone, I can only force tulips so they are fine to crowd in a pot since they will be thrown away after they bloom anyway. Gladiolus and amaryllis are perennial in my garden and pop up again year after year. After a while I do have to divide the Amaryllis or the smaller bulbs won't have enough room to grow. The cormels from the glads will take a couple of years before they bloom. The only lily with a bulb that I have is agapanthus and it stays in the ground year round and the patch keeps growing. I have to go in there and thin it out one of these days.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”