Brown Thumbs

Deer resistant winter flowers

We have a few outdoor containers and a couple small beds that we're interested in planting flowers in this fall. I know pansies do well and I like them, but deer seem to really like them too! I will restrict those to pots on our porch maybe, but wanted to see what annuals might be good for fall/winter out in the yard. We're in MS.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

sweet alyssum, calendula, artemisia, centaurea, snapdragon, larkspur, shirley poppy, artemisia, ageratum are cool season annuals that are reputed to be less attractive to deer, although there's pretty much nothing they won't eat if hungry enough.

Brown Thumbs

Thanks for these suggestions. We'll see if they're sold at our local stores. Curious, do people buy plants online like they do everything else? I'd like some "trusted" sites to try if so. Maybe Amazon?

Peter1142
Green Thumb

I don't know what your winter looks like, but here in the winter deer are starving and will eat absolutely anything -- even things that are repugnant to them. They have even eaten my garlic.

applestar
Mod

What about Lenten Rose/Winter Rose -- Hellebore? Being poisonous, I would think deer would not eat them. But there are some beautiful varieties now.

It's a plant I'm not sure the I can grow here and have been sporadically researching, but I suspect would grow well in mild winter area unless it's actually too warm.... Hmm... A quick search -- no I don't believe it is. :D

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”