BU54
Cool Member

Wild Flower ID?

I have this small area in the middle of my back yard that I cleared out. It was an old rock garden with weed block and tons of lava rock with a few small bushes that were dying off. It was a pain to clear out but it's done now with the exception of planting some perennials and maybe some annuals next spring. Now I have lillies and tulips ect in the yard but I'm looking for late blooming perennials to plant here for late summer flowers.

I was at a friends and removed these plants. I figured to get some flowers that are blooming this time of year that are wild but nice looking. Problem is I don't know what they are and don't know if they'll come up next spring.

First pic is the small area about 5'x6' across that I cleared out. The other 3 pics are of the plants I just planted sunday.
Can anyone ID the plants and tell me if they're perennials?
Thanks in advance!!

BU54
Cool Member

Here's an overall view of the flowers. I did some searching on the net but couldn't find any info so far. The white flowers on the right are the same as the violet on the left just a different color.

applestar
Mod

Purple and white are two kinds of Eupatorium, sometimes called perennial or hardy ageratum for the purple one and white snakeroot for the white one.

I believe the tiny daisy like one is fleabane or it could be an aster of some sort. I should know this because I have them in my yard, too but I can't remember. :oops:

If not perennial, though I believe they are and spread by underground rhizomes, they will go to seed and self seed readily. :x

Yuu may regret doing this -- they all spread very easily and can become regular unwanted weeds, but if you want to keep them and grow them, I think you will be better off creating similar sized area for each one and allow them to grow in patches or large swaths. My backyard is covered with them since I do like that they are attractive to nectar loving butterflies and pollinating and beneficial insects -- bees, wasps, etc. :D

I also all stages of the plants and let them grow to just before or after blooming and then rip them out ruthlessly to use as sheet mulch and compost ingredients. :mrgreen:

BU54
Cool Member

If they spread into the yard they will get cut every time I mow the yard. I just wanted to have some late blooming flowers and this fits the bill till spring. I also plan on planting black eye susan, begonia and nasturtium 'alaska' and perhaps a few annuals. I'm mainly looking for late blooming perrennials. That's why I snagged these from the "wild" now.
The area is under a large maple tree so it's mostly shade with a considerable amount of indirect sun.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”