Thornedvine

Planting BAREROOTS

Hello,
I recently bought bareroots for a couple of flowers from walmart, but it was at the end of the season. I got bleedingheart, some ornamental grass, lily of the valley, and iris. I was wondering are they able to be planted now? The roots in the bag are very dry looking. Some websites recommend putting them in water to allow them to soak it up then plant it into a pot. What do you guys think I should do? Thanks!

imafan26
Mod

The problem with end of season stuff especially live plants is that you don't know how long they have been in the store. Those kinds of things should be bought pretty much within a couple of weeks of their arrival. If they have been sitting in the store for months they may not grow that well. If they look really dry, I would take them back. It may not be alive.

Thornedvine

@imafan26 there was almost hundreds of these bareroot plants, its hard to believe that theyd put them on stock so late. Do you think the water dunking would work?

catgrass
Green Thumb

I'd soak them in water before planting. Some may be salvageable. Plant within a day or so. Cut all dead foilage off. You may not have any growth before next spring, but don't give up!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”