LansdowneGardener
Newly Registered

Companion planting (tulips and other bulbs)

Hello all garden enthusiasts,

I've been doing a lot of reading on hosta and companion planting. In many of the articles, they name tulips as one good companion plant for hostas because the early-blooming tulips come out early and by the time their leaves are wilting the leaves of the hostas are also ready to explode and cover the wilting leaves of tulips. The thing that I cannot reconcile though is that it seems their water requirements don't agree with each other, and for that reason, how would it be a good companion plant? Hostas need lots and lots of water, especially when they're newly planted, whereas tulips don't ( as far as I've read about tulips). As a matter of fact, I read that tulips should only be watered once when they're planted and then leave them alone until they sprout.

So my question is, how can I provide the water requirement of my hostas and not wet the tulips that are just nearby? I know this is not possible unless they are in containers buried in the ground.

I hope some of you can shed light to my dilemma as I'd really like to use tulips with my hosta plants that I'll be dividing this month. Thanks!!

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

I think the answer might be in the way it is stated. Tulips are good companion plants for hosta nor the other way around. I think they mean if you already have hosta planted and want something that comes up earlier then tulips are a good choice. After hosta is established the water needs of the two work well enough.

LansdowneGardener
Newly Registered

Thank you, CharlieBear. That makes sense to me now. So I should plant my hostas first, and when they're already established after a year, add the tulips as a companion plant. Thank you!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”