pinksand
Greener Thumb

What to plant in soggy soil

We have a strange wet spot in our front lawn that I was sure must be a leaking pipe due to the unusual location. However, the county came out and has determined that it's groundwater. A bit about the location...

Our front yard is pretty steeply sloped and the wet site is towards the bottom, but not quite the lowest point. The lowest point seems to dry out while this particular spot stays varying degrees of wet year round. During dry spells I'd describe it as... moist, and when it's been particularly rainy the site is downright soggy. However it doesn't ever seem to be bone dry. The snow always melts here first before anywhere else in our yard. We've been in the house for a few years now and this has always been the case.

I basically think that all the water from behind our house (also sloped), AC drip, and gutters lead to this area. However, the wet area isn't very large, maybe 8ft long by 5ft wide. It's near the driveway but doesn't touch it (there's a dry zone in between).

Since we've confirmed it isn't a leaky pipe issue, I'm thinking a good solution would be some moisture loving plants. Right now it's grass that grows like mad and is super slippery and mushy to mow so that's not working well.

My first challenge is not making it look too random so obviously I'll be creating a garden beyond the soggy site and have it go up to the driveway.

The second challenge is what to plant. Being near the driveway, visibility is an issue so I can't plant anything too tall. It also needs to be able to handle full sun. It looked like sweetspire (dwarf form like 'Little Henry') might be a good small shrub option that likes moisture. The only thing is that everything I can think of leaves me totally drab in the winter. I wish height weren't an issue or winterberry holly would be stunning there! Any other thoughts or suggestions?

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Okay so just thought to look up dwarf varieties of winterberry holly - I'm always posting too quickly! It looks like 'Red Sprite' (with 'Jim Dandy' to pollinate) or 'Berry Poppins' (with 'Mr. Poppins') may be good options. Any other suggestions for small shrubs and perennials?

EDIT: Also, just a note that although it seems clay soil is a big issue in my area, my neighborhood seems to have been blessed with loose soil. I haven't once hit clay in any area of my garden.

applestar
Mod

Haha I was thinking why not dwarf winterberry, too. :D

What is the height limit? If not here, you HAVE to find another spot for White Turtlehead plant (Chelone glabra). This is the host plant for Baltimore Checkerspot butterfly. I have some planted in my native bog garden, but it's very rare for them to make it all the way up to this area and I haven't seen any :(

You might want marsh mallows and their colorful and huge flowered cultivars, Iris versicolor, Cardinal flower, Monarda (Shorter cultivars I guess. Jacob Cline might be too tall. I have a shorter cultivar called Coral Reef too. You might want to look into some native pitcher plants, ... How about cranberries? Maybe monkey flower (mimulus)?

Summersweet. Look for dwarfs.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

The height limit is probably about 4' and maybe a bit more for airier perennials. I totally forgot about turtlehead! I have a purple variety, do the Checkerspot butterflies like that as well or do they prefer the white? Mine could probably use a good dividing. I've wanted some Coral Reef Monarda ever since I saw the photos of yours so I'll have to keep an eye out for that variety. I have "Pardon my Pink" and it has really been struggling with powdery mildew this year. I've heard Jacob Cline is more resistant, how does Coral Reef hold up?

Thanks for all the great recommendations!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

This is a challenge! A couple of smaller shrubs good, and at least have bones (branches) in winter. I suggest to think twice on any perennials. Some look crappy in the winter months, well for being out front near curb. I would hesitate on any monardas with the dampness as they tend to get the powdery mildew in best of conditions. Swamp milkweed and Joe Pye Weed may handle the damp. Have you considered cat tails?! That would make a swamp statement and conversation piece.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Willow likes water. Pussywillows for one. Not sure if it works in your zone. Weaping pussy willows are nice. There are some of the weaping pussy willows down the block. I could take a picture if you want. Just ask.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Susan, I love the idea of keeping it simple with mostly small shrubs and maybe just a few perennials. That's a good point about the monarda and I LOVE the idea of some swamp milkweed! I'll have to do some research on cattails. I always loved them as a kid! It looks like they can be spreaders but maybe with drier conditions surrounding this spot they wouldn't be inclined to spread too much?

I adore willows, but it's probably not an ideal spot considering the proximity to the driveway and street. I think even a small pussy or dappled willow might obstruct the view of the street as we pull out of the driveway. Thanks for the suggestion though!

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Ah! So we finally took on this project this weekend since I had several other projects going on that required a bulk delivery of river rocks and soil/compost.

There is a pipe there! I bought 3 'Red Sprite' winterberries and 1 'Jim Dandy' and went to plant Jim in a particularly damp spot only to hit pipe 6" down. It's black pvc or some kind of thick plastic (not the ribbed kind) and very clearly separated in 2 spots so the project was put on hold until we could get Public Works out again. I was freaking out all night worrying about this and frustrated that I lost a weekend day to get this done.

We spoke to them today and they said it must be an old drainage pipe of some sort. The water tested negative for fluoride so it isn't city water, plus the city water pipes are at least 3' deep so they're below the frost line. All of our downspouts are accounted for so it isn't running from our gutters and we don't have a sump pump. I'm thinking it's either some random old pipe put in for drainage (maybe once leading from a downspout) or possibly an old pipe that used to lead to the septic tank that is no longer there. From what my husband and I recall the previous owners said the tank had been in that general area. I think that ground water flows through the pipe and sits in it, slowly leaking from these breaking points. Since it's ground water and it isn't anywhere near the house to cause any damage, I'm thinking I'll go ahead and move forward with the project and turn this space into a rain garden.

I haven't bought anything besides the winterberries at this point, but I'm going to a plant exchange in my neighborhood this weekend and am keeping an eye out for the plants you've all suggested. I think I should at least be able to get some turtlehead, but I'd like something that blooms earlier in the season as well so maybe some swamp milkweed?

imafan26
Mod

What about iris and daylily.

applestar
Mod

That must have been a pain when you first found those pipes. But yay!
Looking forward to seeing the results!

pinksand
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote:What about iris and daylily.
I actually have both that need dividing in the back so that would be a nice free option :)

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I contacted the previous owners of our house and they said they put the pipe in themselves. Our next door neighbors apparently have a natural spring in their yard and it flows into our yard and used to go over the driveway and create an ice rink in the winter. The pipe diverts the water straight down along the driveway. Even though it is broken in a few places it's still performing its job. Mystery solved!

We ended up having too many rocks and I was sick of them blocking our driveway so we expanded the rocky portion of the garden to line the driveway as well as the street (the street was the initial plan). It looks terrible and poorly done because instead of sitting in a concave bed like a dry riverbed naturally would, they're higher up than everything around them which looks looks unnatural. I'm going to work in sections removing the rock and digging out some dirt to create more of a swale. I also purchased some larger rocks for a more natural look. I'll post pictures once I'm no longer mortified by the appearance ;)

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I wanted to post an update for this project...

Phase 1 was a failure. It worked all summer but then one winter day I looked out to see this

We realized that the water needed to be directed away from and under the driveway. There were two prominent breaks in the piping so I worked with these spots to direct a little stream to the bottom.

These photos were taken two winters ago and everything has worked well. Since the photos were taken I've added a border of larger rock along the driveway for aesthetic purposes and rocks going down where the "stream" comes down the middle. It's become our fancy "water feature" since if you look closely, water actually trickles down the rocks on certain days.

The winterberry holly has done really well here and is currently blooming (though insignificantly). We got a really decent number of berries on the bushes this past winter and they lasted until maybe January/February before being devoured by birds! In typical fashion, I've overcrowded the bed and already have plans to move some things in the fall.

Here's everything else I have:

Swamp milkweed
Butterfly weed (more and more as the seeds spread)
Variegated loriope
Pink muhly grass
Penstemon 'Dark Towers' (this is one that has to move, these didn't come with a tag and I didn't realize they'd get so big! My other penstemon stays much smaller but I've since identified the variety. Fortunately I have a few bare spots where I can spread these guys out.)
Hibiscus Rose Mallow 'Luna Pink Swirl'
Daffodils

I've got to say that I love this garden now! As much of a pain as it has been, I've got blooms in there from early spring into fall and the winterberries are such a cheery site when everything else dies back. I leave the pink muhly grass until it starts getting ugly so it offers early winter interest and structure.

I'll try to remember to take an updated photo!

Unfortunately the tree company dropped a large branch in the garden and broke a few branches of one winterberry holly and crushed one of the penstemon that was just about to bloom :( I think they'll both recover just fine though.

applestar
Mod

Oooh sounds lovely! Where's the latest photo? :-() :>

pinksand
Greener Thumb

It's not the best shot... I'll try to get another photo once things are in full bloom! Right now the penstemon is just starting to bloom and I have buds on the butterfly weed and swamp milkweed. The hibiscus is spectacular when it's blooming!

I'm sure you can see the grassy looking stuff coming through the rocks... I'm not entirely sure it's a grass because nothing kills it! I sprayed it like crazy with horticultural strength vinegar and orange oil and it was unphased. It's a horrible plant whatever it is and it LOVES the water. It gets a cluster of burrs if I let it "bloom."

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”